• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Copyright on fonts used in film credits?

Hi, I am making a short film and want to add the credits but I am concerned that some or all of the fonts offered up by my video editing software are copyrighted to various entities. For example, the Arial font is owned by Monotype Typography corporation and not the creators of any of the video editing software packages that it can be used with.

What do other independent filmmakers do when they get to the point of adding opening or closing credits? You'd think you could just pick one that looks good but how do you know you can use it without obtaining a license? Are there any fonts that are free of copyright that are considered favorites among indie filmmakers?

I spent hours last night on Google trying to answer this question with no luck. If anyone could suggest a few safe options that I could use, that would help a lot. Thanks!

You're fine with any of the fonts included by default in your operating system. If you're really worried and want to make sure you get 100% commercial and royalty free fonts, go to fontsquirrel.com. All their fonts are free and you can use it for whatever you want.

Back