Some of the actors may not understand the short film I am casting for.

I took the advice on here before and currently have been doing casting calls for a scene from a feature. I was told to do a scene from a feature I wrote, as practice. But when I do the casting call, I haven't gotten hardly any responses, and I think the actors may not understand the intention.

One of them said they did not see the point to just one scene, as oppose to a whole movie. So should I explain that it's for a feature, and it's just practice to work on our craft, or how should I advertise it? Cause I want to put up some more calls, to get more people interested.

Thanks.

wtfthefatties_wide.jpg

Jack Black pulled it off.

I might be able to get this short film done. I have to push my friends to act though if they show up. Really push them into it and bringing out acting talent. I also do not have a PSM so I might to do ADR for the whole thing in post.

But I might be able to get enough people together this time.

I might be able to get this short film done. I have to push my friends to act though if they show up. Really push them into it and bringing out acting talent. I also do not have a PSM so I might to do ADR for the whole thing in post.

But I might be able to get enough people together this time.

Best of luck H44! :cool:

Even if you don't get it together, you could always go all out Eddie Murphy with it. I mean sure, Norbit isn't Citizen Kane, but...

True, but it's not really a comedic scene, and I don't think it will help to add to a demo reel, if I Eddie Murphy the whole thing, plus if I did that, every shot will have to be a close up, since I cannot be on screen twice. And people will look at it and say it sucks cause the director only used one type of shot, the whole short.

I can't secure a venue yet for auditions. I hope the actors will have no problem sending in a taped audition of the scenes I give them, if I can't get a venue soon.

Last edited:
I can't secure a venue yet for auditions. I hope the actors will have no problem sending in a taped audition of the scenes I give them, if I can't get a venue soon.

So much /facepalm. So much. You're having troubles getting actors and you're making it even harder for them to work for you for free? Is this really the best idea?

True, but it's not really a comedic scene, and I don't think it will help to add to a demo reel, if I Eddie Murphy the whole thing, plus if I did that, every shot will have to be a close up, since I cannot be on screen twice. And people will look at it and say it sucks cause the director only used one type of shot, the whole short.

I love excuses.

Just did a shoot where we had total equipment failure (it was crazy), my vehicle broke down on the way over a couple of miles away and the talent became physically ill halfway through. On top of that, I was ill and ended up in hospital so couldn't edit.

And here it is (albeit needs some more editing):

It was all about loneliness in a big City and needs some editing to complete it but you'll get the idea: https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/75665898/ca7e954507

Password: Claire

We couldn't get the shots we wanted but we got it in the can despite the worst, possible circumstances. I'm kinda proud of that. And we will do two, entirely different edits from entirely different perspectives.

So should I explain that it's for a feature, and it's just practice to work on our craft, or how should I advertise it?

Don't call it practice. Call it a screen test for the purpose of drumming up interest and funding in the feature. Also say something along the lines of that it's an opportunity as they will obviously be considered for the roles when you do make the full feature film.

Okay thanks. What if the actress I want to play the lead, flakes out. I want the extras prepared to jump in and take her role. I am planning on getting some extra extras, even though they are not necessary, but just to jump in and fill her spot if needed. How do I go about doing that, do I let the actors know, so they are prepared?

What if the actress I want to play the lead, flakes out.

Is this likely? Is there a reason why you are asking this? Has she given you some reason for you to worry about this?

There's nothing wrong with having backups, though if you do it for one person only, I really have to wonder if you're cast your actor well.

I seriously think H44 is a bot. I seriously do.

The fact that you are casting this "scene" that you want to shoot and are completely content with using an extra as the lead if the real lead drops out boggles my mind. It seems you're not passionate about the project if you'll use an extra to replace the leading part.

Listen, we've given you advice to abandon this scene since it seems like a huge task and start with something small. Something that you have 100% control over without relying on any outside resources. But you never once commented on that advice. Instead you keep talking about this scene and how everything could and probably will go wrong and how you would go about trying to fix it!?!?

Good Luck. I'm out.

Well I am worried cause the actress I might have wanted for the lead role, has not gotten back to me in a while so I might need an extra to fill in. If not, then I will have to put the shoot on hold till I find someone I guess.

I don't mean to make excuses, it's just I haven't learned how to get everyone to commit to a project.

Yep, if I can't get this one off the ground, I will do an actor-less short next. I was thinking of doing one told in comic book form with still comic book pictures and voice over narration over top.

Last edited:
Yep, if I can't get this one off the ground, I will do an actor-less short next. I was thinking of doing one told in comic book form with still comic book pictures and voice over narration over top.
Sounds complicated (if you're drawing the comics yourself)... You could just go into a forest, waterfall (whatever really) and shoot it nicely - different angles etc... Just a thought.

You do realise that doing the comic-book-thing can be fun, but makes you depending on the output of others. So you risk waiting for drawings, just like you are now waiting for actors?

Are you aware of that fact?
You seem to choose the projects in a way that let's hide behind others...

Tell her NOW that that will be your next project, so she can start drawing.
While she is drawing her @ss of, you can shoot city/nature stuff.
This way you won't waste time waiting.

Back