Waterproof Case for DSLR

Anyone here have experience with the waterproof camera "bag" products that are out now? (ie. made from a durable, plastic. ...usually with a clear, hard front for the lens.)

I'm planning a rain scene, so we're not dealing with the whole submersion / water pressure leakage issue, but I still want something better than a DIY ziplock bag setup. This will be shot on a Canon 7D.

Specifically, I'm looking at the Aquapac Waterproof SLR case. (Wasn't sure if I could post the link. ?)

Oh, and if anyone has advice on waterproofing a microphone, I'd be glad to hear it! :)

THANKS!

I'm lead to believe, from a DoP who worked with us on our last collaboration. Who advised us, DSLR users, not to point the camera towards, or in direction of the sun for fear of the sensor, or lens -memory escapes me.

Now, i'd go as far to say i become accustomed to this almost common sense knowledge the same day i learnt to tie my shoes, or handle hot soup without taking the skin off my thumbs.

The interesting part, was the suggestion of "The Winter Sun", to which his approach was its ghastly threat, far more succeptable was our equipment in such volitile conditions...

Ofcourse, the UV rays are known to be as strong in the Winter, as they are the Summer months. So it was a hollow recital, if one at all.

An anti-climax, i'm sure you're already familiar with, Wheat.

Last edited:
P.S Beware of that winter sun. Lenses aren't appreciative that way.

I think he means that your lens is basically a magnifying glass aimed at your camera's sensor. So you don't want to leave it pointed at a bright light source. It's something I hadn't considered much since I mostly shoot still photos, but with a video DSLR in video mode it's probably a good idea to remember to put the lens cap on when you're not shooting and point it away from bright light sources.

Precisely, Faust.

Heh...yeah, I leave my 550D set on 30 second auto off. I bought it specifically for shooting video so if it's on, it's in video mode and all my glass is f/2.8 or faster. The last thing I need is to melt my camera. I'm so used to shooting in low light, concert stuff and low light long exposures, that it's a habit to leave my apertures wide open. I'm surprised I haven't ruined this camera yet. Even though there's similarities between video and stills, I've got a lot to learn.

I'm lead to believe, from a DoP who worked with us on our last collaboration. Who advised us, DSLR users, not to point the camera towards, or in direction of the sun for fear of the sensor, or lens -memory escapes me.

Heh...yeah, I leave my 550D set on 30 second auto off. I bought it specifically for shooting video so if it's on, it's in video mode and all my glass is f/2.8 or faster. The last thing I need is to melt my camera. I'm so used to shooting in low light, concert stuff and low light long exposures, that it's a habit to leave my apertures wide open. I'm surprised I haven't ruined this camera yet. Even though there's similarities between video and stills, I've got a lot to learn.

The main difference between video and stills in this case is that when shooting video you have to use live mode, so the mirror is up all the time and the sensor is exposed. I can't imagine it'd do any damage to your lens, but better safe than sorry I suppose. I wonder if the winter sun thing is just because it's lower in the sky… much more likely to get it in shot than in the warmer months.

I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon in this thread but the jist seems to be 'don't point your camera at the sun, especially when shooting video and certainly not for any protracted length of time'.

I have to say that I quite often point mine at the sun (not for long, I promise) but I bought UV Filters which I screw onto the lens. Won't this counteract the damage the sun will do to the lense?

I've tried starting a fire with a magnifying glass before to no avail, so my control was kind of uninspiring...

Might be because this is England... :P

It depends on what the magnifying glass is made of. If it is made of a hard plastic, or something similar, you will not be able to focus the light enough to create enough heat to start a fire. And it could also be that it's England. :)

Back