Which one I should buy: Canon 700D-750D-760D for short film/documentary production

I need your first hand experiences of these to pick to buy for short film/documentary production:
Canon 700D-750D-760D
- please tell me which one I should pick and why?

Last edited:
I would say the 750D because that is what I use. 24.2 megapixel sensors are gorgeous, it's lightweight, easy to run and gun, many accessories for it and it gives you sharp imagery. Canon EOS Rebel T6i (750D) takes the win.

If your selection really is narrowed down to those three, then go for the 700D/T5i.

Canon hit a sweet spot in their Rebel series on that one, and it was ruined with the 750D/760D (T6i/T6s). Sure, you only get 18MP as opposed to 24 on the others, but I find the sensor to be cleaner. Canon adjusted the black points on the sensor with the T5i to a really good place (so much that it's a very popular camera for astrophotography). I also find artifacting worse in the T6i/T6s than in the T5i.

I'll take cleaner image over a few more MP any day.

indiejunior, I would go with the 700 for the same reasons. MP's aren't everything.
Canon reduced the overall quality of the sensor when they introduced the 750/760
and it's noticeable. I've been very disappointed with the 750. I still think the 700
is a better camera.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
I have a budget of $749.00 max. (with the kit lens - or less amount without the kit lens)
I was suggested I should get canon 700 series depending on my budget
I have read so many reviews and watched so many comparison video reviews and I'm confused.
Last video review was somehow shocking and I kind of agree with that due to oversized body compared to mirror-less ones and more features in Sony. But I think they are over my budget.
I am not so comfortable with large body cameras in my whole life and I rather get something smaller if possible.
I appreciate your suggestions along those lines please
$749.00
mirror-less with a kit lens if possible

The more megapixels the merrier.

That's an easy assumption to make until you have gotten your hands on a wide variety of cameras and have a practical and working knowledge of how these things matter in the long run.

The difference between 18MP and 24MP in APS-C video isn't as drastic as with stills, and again the overall quality (including noise, aliasing, and moiré) dropped from the T5i to the T6i/T6s. What you gain in resolution is nullified by all the other things lost.

Thank you for your valuable suggestions.
I have a budget of $749.00 max. (with the kit lens - or less amount without the kit lens)
I was suggested I should get canon 700 series depending on my budget
I have read so many reviews and watched so many comparison video reviews and I'm confused.
Last video review was somehow shocking and I kind of agree with that due to oversized body compared to mirror-less ones and more features in Sony. But I think they are over my budget.
I am not so comfortable with large body cameras in my whole life and I rather get something smaller if possible.
I appreciate your suggestions along those lines please
$749.00
mirror-less with a kit lens if possible

Well, if you want small and mirrorless, look at the Canon EOS M3. It's in the same ballpark as the T5i in terms of image. Not a bad, little camera.

HOWEVER, you will find quickly that shooting stability gets harder the smaller the camera body is. There's also no optical viewfinder (not that big a deal if you aren't shooting stills). The larger body of the T5i/700D, still smaller than full-frame cameras like the 5DmkIII, is more comfortable for getting a solid grip.

The more megapixels the merrier.

Nope.
Canon applies line-skipping to collect a 1080p image from the whole sensor.
More MP means that more lines are being skipped with a bigger change on moire and aliasing as a result.
(I never compared the 700D to the 750D so I can't say whether or not better processing compensates that.)

Less MP on the same service often implies larger photosites, so the signal from the sensor will be cleaner (in theory).
That is why a Sony A7s only has a 12MP sensor AND can reach rediculous ISO values that look pretty clean.

Megapixels mostly just matter for printed media.

Nope.
Canon applies line-skipping to collect a 1080p image from the whole sensor.
More MP means that more lines are being skipped with a bigger change on moire and aliasing as a result.
(I never compared the 700D to the 750D so I can't say whether or not better processing compensates that.)

Less MP on the same service often implies larger photosites, so the signal from the sensor will be cleaner (in theory).
That is why a Sony A7s only has a 12MP sensor AND can reach rediculous ISO values that look pretty clean.

Megapixels mostly just matter for printed media.
Checkmate!

Thank you for your very informative suggestions I appreciate very much.
I now know more about the Canon.

- I'll start searching for the disadvantages of Canon EOS M3 vs others as well as:

- Comparative info for Panasonic G7 suggestion I have had within my budget

Back