Best lens for Canon

Hey guys - I am using a Canon EOS Rebel T6i with its stock lens. What lens would you recommend for a motion picture?

There's no way to answer your question. What are you currently not able to do with the kit lens?

There's no single lens that's the best for a motion picture. It all comes down to what your shot needs are, what your shooting style and workflow are, and even your budget.

Most common in motion picutre are prime lenses, meaning you need to have a different lens for each focal length you want to use and you'll be swapping lenses every time you change the shot.

There's no single zoom lens that will cover everything. So, even if you're using zooms, you may need three different lenses (wide range, medium range, long range) to cover every conceivable setup.

So what are you wanting to do right now that you cannot do with the kit lens?

So it makes sense to get many lenses, depending on what shot I want than to just use one all the time and make it work?

What I'm saying is: I don't know. Can it be done with one lens? Sure! Until you find youself unable to do what you want with that lens.

You still haven't answered the main question: what are you trying to do right now that you cannot do with the kit lens?

You may be better off working with the lens you have for now and seeing how far you can get. You may not even know the limitations until you try, and if you're in the middle of a short film with the kit lens and cannot do exactly what you think you should be able to do, find a way to work around it (spurs creative thinking and makes you a better DP in the long run). So, while there's no one lens that will do everything, we don't know what you want to do outside the capabilities of the lens you have.

I shot a feature on the T2i with just the 18-55mm kit lens and it looked pretty good. Then I moved to the 28-135mm lens. Now I've moved on to the Ursa Mini and use the 24-105mm and a 50mm 1.8. I only use the 50mm when I want to shoot in low light or need shallow depth of field.

Back