$1000, Executive Producer credit

$1000, Executive Producer credit
My feature film is 98% done, but once accepted into a film festival, it will need a theatrical sound mix, an exhibition copy, publicist, and we'll need money for travel/board.

The entire thing was independently funded by myself and my family. There are only 2 Executive Producer credits at the moment and no production companies. If you would like to invest $1,000 or more I will gladly give you an EP credit.
Hold up.

You're not PAYING $1,000 for someone to BE the EP to arrange for the "theatrical sound mix, an exhibition copy, publicist, and we'll need money for travel/board"

You're ASKING someone to PAY YOU $1,000 to get credit on your films as EP?

For really. :huh:

Really.

Wow.

I can give you $1,000 just for EP credit.

Wow.

Now I know how to be an EP.

Hey, after the festival circuit might I recommend exclusive distributorship through 'Maverick Entertainment' or 'GoDigital Media Group.'
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=343598#post343598

Last edited:
I'm not looking for a producer, I'm looking for an Executive Producer (aka financier) willing to invest completion funds. It's a very common practice, albeit maybe not usually done through filmmaking message boards! I do see how my thread title is misleading though.

Careful what you say. It now sounds like you're now looking for a non-active investor. You may run afoul of the law asking for someone to "invest completion funds" without a PPM, especially in LA. I know the laws relaxed recently, but not to that extent.

Careful what you say. It now sounds like you're now looking for a non-active investor. You may run afoul of the law asking for someone to "invest completion funds" without a PPM, especially in LA. I know the laws relaxed recently, but not to that extent.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm claiming ignorance when it comes to many of the legalities in filmmaking. This whole movie was done with no budget, no unions, stealing locations, etc.

I really don't want to launch a crowdfunding campaign, but maybe that's the easiest way to sell an EP credit legally?

Anyway, I'm also currently waiting to hear back from the Frameline Completion Fund Grant, so I might be just fine in the end.

I really don't want to launch a crowdfunding campaign, but maybe that's the easiest way to sell an EP credit legally?
I suspect you are not going to find an easy way to get a
complete stranger to give you $1,000.

Sweetie is correct to advice you to be cautious about your
wording. Here on indietalk it's not a legal issue but elsewhere
it may be. You re not looking for an "investor" - that word
can get you into legal trouble. You are looking for a donation
in exchange for a credit. I would even advise against saying
you are selling a credit - stick to what this really is; you are
asking for a donation of $1,000.

You are right, this isn't for everyone. I think you will find that
the people here on indietalk would rather use their $1,000 to
make a movie than get a credit on yours.

Donation is fine. Selling the credit is also fine. Offering a non-active piece of the film in exchange for a financial contribution (which implies the possibility of earning a return) without a PPM is not fine. On top of that, having a bottom rung investor (the average joe on the street) invest in your film after s/he has already hit their annual $2k investment cap is also a problem.

He would however, be able to sell a producers role, where the producer is having an active involvement in the film and in return getting a piece of the proceeds without needing a ppm so long as the investor hasn't gone over their annual allowable investment cap, which is determined by their assets and income formula.

Though, getting a producer to donate money to a film, then to work on that film without getting a percentage of the proceeds is a no no.

This is why people suggest going through an entertainment lawyer. It gets a little complicated and there is a real possibility of going to jail for securities fraud.

Anyone with security law knowledge (taking into consideration of the latest Obama investor changes), please correct me if my interpretation is wrong.

You yanks have some odd laws.

I suspect you are not going to find an easy way to get a
complete stranger to give you $1,000.

Someone had to say it :lol:

If complete strangers weren't donating money to films then Kickstarter and Indiegogo would not work. Granted $1,000 is a lot for a donation, but a simple google search provides countless examples of it happening.

Would I personally pay $1,000 for an EP credit on an indie film? No, because I'm broke. But if I were new to the film industry and dying to jump right in and I had a lot of extra cash, I'd gladly take an EP credit on a film that had a great shot at getting into a big festival. The experience alone would be worth it.

I appreciate the advice a lot of you have given me, but please don't try to discourage me from trying to get help for my film.

Last edited:
If financing a film was as easy as going on an online forum, asking for $1000 for a credit, and never having to meet that person - there would be a lot more feature films.

Crowd funding through a respectable website is different from going around on forums saying $1000 to get my movie off of the ground!

No, few people would give you $1000 if they wanted to get into the industry.

If you want to get dem dalla dalla bills, then start a Kickstarter/IndieGoGo campaign, but of course, study up and make the best campaign possible. There are thousands of failed campaigns. Those sites only advertise those that succeed. If those sites advertised honestly, no one would get close to it :lol:

Threads:
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=39742
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=51037

I don't think people are trying to discourage you, they're being honest. There's barely a chance that that will happen.

Best of luck :cool:

please don't try to discourage me from trying to get help for my film.
I'm sorry you felt I was trying to discourage you. My intent was to
add a touch of reality. Sometimes that helps some some people
focus their efforts. You know your target; new to the film industry
with a lot of extra cash. Go for it!

You didn't ask for advice and I gave some. I apologize. Won't happen
again.

Just set up a kickstarter account. If it fails, what damage have you done? If it succeeds, you might even get more money than you thought!

Back