• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anyone here use after effects?

Just wondering if there is anyone who uses after effects a lot? If so just wondering for some sources on getting started with it. I have already checked out Film riot and some of there videos on it, video copilot and adobes official site that has there tutorial bits.

So does anyone know of other spots that have great tutorial for after effects?

Thanks

WAX

Youtube is full of AE tutorials.

Once you've gone though the introductory vids from Adobe etc, you'll probably find it easier to look up tutes for specific methods/processes as and when you encounter the need to learn them. It's usually much easier to keep your head together if you take it one step at a time. :)

Videocopilot was the go to place for me when I started with AE. I just picked tutorials that looked cool and followed along with him. In doing so, I was able to learn how the program works, vs how to just do xyz effect. A lot of guys' tutorials are boring as snot. Andrew at least keeps it interesting.

I learned the basics in a class room :P
In 2002 there weren't many tutorials online yet...
A few years later they were. I discovered pretty late that my 'talented, creative peers' just executed tutorials to get their grade... LOL, I guess that's why my stuff looked way different :P

Go to the video co-pilot site and take the "Basic Training" course. Very helpful!

Thanks for posting that before and helping me out now. I did check a few out on your good advice, and they're excellent. Andrew Devis's basics series is very nice. And I will watch more. Unfortunately, I either need even more basic tutoring, my system isn't good enough, or I am a moron, because I can't get the damn thing to do even the most basic things I'm sure it can do. [exhausted and :grumpy:]

TUnfortunately, I either need even more basic tutoring, my system isn't good enough, or I am a moron, because I can't get the damn thing to do even the most basic things I'm sure it can do.

No doubt, AE is a resource hog! For the sake of learning, I suggest using smaller video files - perhaps, DV or 720, or compressed (MP4, mov, etc.). Underneath the main view screen, you may want to scale down the screen resolution, such as changing "Full" to "Half" or "Third."

Also, while holding down SHIFT, select the EDIT dropdown menu. Continue holdking SHIFT. Select PREFERENCES, then GENERAL, until you see "Secret." open that up and change some of those settings.

Oh hallelujah. I think I finally worked out how to make After Effects work for me...just enough. For now. The main thing I need AE for at this time is its simple wire removal tool. My problem is the "basic" video tutorials out there don't seem to be basic enough for a noob and a knob like me.

But, still, ten thousand thanks to Matt Hampton for his excellent tutorial on using the wire remover.

His tutorial was enough for me to manage to get it to work. But then I was like, okay, how the heck do I get my fixed video out of AE? I'm used to simple photo editors in which all you have to do is "save as" and choose where you want the new file to go. But it can't be so simple in a sophisticated program like AE, I guess. So...much aggravation.

After some stumbling around, this article with the video, The Adobe Media Encoder, helped. Though it still wasn't comprehensive enough for me, with some more fumbling and struggling about I figured out you have to encode and export your new video. The tutorial is also a bit dated, apparently, so things aren't quite the same.

Anyway, once you've made your edit to your video, you click on "Composition," then "Add to Adobe Media Encoder Queue." Then in Media Encoder, under Output File, you click the blue linky thingy to chose where you want it to go. Then you click the little green arrow up at the top and the encoding begins, after which it is shipped out to the location you chose. Yay!

Of course the Creative Cow tutorials are really nice for introducing you to other features too.

I know you experienced guys are probably wondering why I think I need to describe all this here. :P I'm just thinking it could possibly help another noob/knob out there like me, maybe save them a little grief.

It was more of a struggle than I wanted it to be. But oh, man, I am so glad it looks like I figured out what I needed to figure out. It's so nice to have those stuck pixels gone and exported videos I can actually do something with, like share.

:)

lol, you are right: almost all tutorial teach you a trick, but hardly any help you understanding the interface, basic functions and workflow. I know why:
tricks can be explained easily when you assume someone understands how the software works. Explaining the basics can take hours. :P

Back