movies Next Star Wars film is coming.

Star Wars IV (the original, not "A New Hope", which just added new crap), V and VI are the only really fun, entertaining films in the franchise for me. III was actually pretty good, but I had to wade through I and II to get there; not sure it was worth the effort. Nothing since has really grabbed me. And yes, I have seen all the films, but have to admit I haven't watched any of the animated series.

Why because Luke is still alive?

No, because he's not, and yet he will still be around. So there's no tragic moment as in when he lost Ben in Ep IV. That said, Ben coming back in Ep V was critical, so there can be exceptions.

Star Wars IV (the original, not "A New Hope", which just added new crap), V and VI are the only really fun, entertaining films in the franchise for me. III was actually pretty good, but I had to wade through I and II to get there; not sure it was worth the effort. Nothing since has really grabbed me. And yes, I have seen all the films, but have to admit I haven't watched any of the animated series.

Agreed, but "Return of the Jedi" wasn't that great, actually. I never saw the animated series, but I understand "The Clone Wars" was actually pretty good.

"star wars fatigue" is a way of saying that people have no faith in the way the franchise has been handled and are no longer excited to see what comes next. And this fatigue is not uncommon.

I'd rather them just reboot the whole thing

I'd rather them just reboot the whole thing

The prequels are beyond repair, but Ep III and IV are iconic, for good reason, and should be left as is. Instead of a reboot, I would remake Ep 1-3, 6, and the sequels. I am open to letting Ep 6 stay as it, because it wasn't too bad, but, given the lack of chemistry between the actors, I'm not too enthused by it.

I like The Last Jedi. It has flaws, but I like the grumpy anti-war feel it has. No glory in fighting.
I understand many people where disappointed, but if they had listened to Yoda's teaching, they'd know that war does not make one great. In the end Luke had to confront Vader as a final lesson to teach him just that.
We are so used to heroes that fight in movies, that almost nobody expected their childhood hero to be not fighting.

Rogue One is pretty good as well and is almost the opposite: there they fight hard, knowing they will probably die. The victory is bitter and selfless, using the martyr archetype to make death glorious. One would say it has roots closer to Beowulf than to Hollywood ;)

Solo was fun. It set up a lot of things, but it doesn't look like there will be sequels.

The Force Awakens was a bit too much of A New Hope remixed with nostalgia, but I still loved it.

Look, it is just hard to make anything 'Star Wars' and get applauded by everyone. The prequels were just working towards the known outcome: Vader. And Lucas failed to get help with the romance part, lol.
I love The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, although the whole Ewok thing makes it cheesy and an obvious plot to sell stuffed Ewoks :P
The Force Awakensn is criticised for offering more of the same, while The Last Jedi is criticised for 'destroying Luke's character'. There is no pleasing everyone.

I will go to watch IX in cinema with my dad. It will be fun for sure. Will it be iconic as the first 3 movies? I don't know.
I think TLJ ended pretty iconic with a nice Gandhi meets A Fistfull of Dollars twist. :P

The prequels are beyond repair, but Ep III and IV are iconic, for good reason, and should be left as is. Instead of a reboot, I would remake Ep 1-3, 6, and the sequels. I am open to letting Ep 6 stay as it, because it wasn't too bad, but, given the lack of chemistry between the actors, I'm not too enthused by it.

They're iconic but they wont stand forever. Everything will get rebooted in time.
Maybe in round two the storm troopers blaster accuracy can be more than a punch line ?

I am open to letting Ep 6 stay as it, because it wasn't too bad, but, given the lack of chemistry between the actors, I'm not too enthused by it.

Correction - I meant Ep 3, not 6. As for 6, yes, the Ewoks are silly, and I would have preferred Gary Kurtz' idea of a bitter sweet ending, with the empire destroyed, perhaps Solo dead, and the rebellion in tatters.

Rogue One was great, and, while you can't please everyone, I'm not everyone, certainly not the mega crowds that have earned Disney back its investment.

Why because Luke is still alive?

That and Senator Palpatine's laugh (at the end of the trailer), which signals his possible return as well. I thought for sure that the Emperor (Palpatine) died when Vader threw him into the core and he blew up.

Bunch of damn force ghosts! :lol:

My biggest problem is the writing. Rey has amazing Jedi powers and saber fighting skills, yet has no training. :no: Luke should have come back as a unifying Jedi master, but they killed him.... :no::no::no: WTF.

To be honest, the Ewoks killed the series for me. Fakey looking space Teddy bears! And, the prequels were the equivalent of what Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS and ALIEN COVENANT did to the alien mythology. Let's throw out the whole bio-mechanical "It looks like he grew out of the chair," and also add that David the android made some big alien eggs and aliens. The films are entertaining, but like THE PHANTOM MENACE ("Anakin had no father," he was impregnated by the force!) the writing just poops on everything good and logical that the original movies had established. Eegads!

In addition to spotty writing, there is also the decision to over use CGI. We can now have Anakin jumping out of a speeder, at 1,000 feet up, falling hundreds of feet to catch on to another speeder. The lack of budget, and CGI, lent more realism to the original movies. Luke and Leia swinging across a chasm used to be a big deal.

I now watch these films, with very little emotional investment. I enjoy them superficially, you know, like cartoons. What started as a well thought out Hero's Journey has been mostly reduced to a largely uninspired corporate cash cow.

That and Senator Palpatine's laugh (at the end of the trailer), which signals his possible return as well. I thought for sure that the Emperor (Palpatine) died when Vader threw him into the core and he blew up.

Bunch of damn force ghosts! :lol:

My biggest problem is the writing. Rey has amazing Jedi powers and saber fighting skills, yet has no training. :no: Luke should have come back as a unifying Jedi master, but they killed him.... :no::no::no: WTF.

To be honest, the Ewoks killed the series for me. Fakey looking space Teddy bears! And, the prequels were the equivalent of what Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS and ALIEN COVENANT did to the alien mythology. Let's throw out the whole bio-mechanical "It looks like he grew out of the chair," and also add that David the android made some big alien eggs and aliens. The films are entertaining, but like THE PHANTOM MENACE ("Anakin had no father," he was impregnated by the force!) the writing just poops on everything good and logical that the original movies had established. Eegads!

In addition to spotty writing, there is also the decision to over use CGI. We can now have Anakin jumping out of a speeder, at 1,000 feet up, falling hundreds of feet to catch on to another speeder. The lack of budget, and CGI, lent more realism to the original movies. Luke and Leia swinging across a chasm used to be a big deal.

I now watch these films, with very little emotional investment. I enjoy them superficially, you know, like cartoons. What started as a well thought out Hero's Journey has been mostly reduced to a largely uninspired corporate cash cow.

I'm the same way, which is why I haven't bothered with Discovery. I still browse through the older series of Star Trek, because they were what good science fiction is really about.

discovery season 1 was amazing, it was so dynamic it felt more like a movie than a tv show.
the second season not so much unfortunately... i guess they ran out of plot points to steal from Dark Matter :lol:

I can't muster any enthusiasm for the next films either. I can't muster enthusiasm for the franchise in general. I think the guy from Red Letter Media is correct: turns out the Star Wars Universe is not so expansive after all, despite claims to the contrary. It's tapped out.

George Lucas ought to be laughing all the way to the bank, not that I suppose he needs to worry about money. It feels like he sold them a depleted mine. It's also interesting, off-the-wall, and telling what he had to say about the new films in that Charlie Rose interview. Hahhaha.

I agree with Mark Hamill. (I don't mean to butcher or misrepresent what he's said.) It's time for old geezers like me who loved the original three to be glad they happened, be glad we have them, and stop worrying about the new ones—especially after Episode VIII.

Oh God, please, no, please, do not reboot Star Wars.

*Hurls.

Nah just kidding. I don't care. I'm done with it.

I am sure a reboot made today would be a steaming pile of crap.

But that's just my opinion, man.

Unless…unless maybe…they gave it to Joss Whedon. And, probably they would need to clean house of certain others, I'm sorry to have to add. Yes, I realize how improbable that is. That's pretty much my point. But that would get my attention in a good way. Or give it to Jackson. Even better, give it to del Torro. Give them full(ish) control. Let someone worthy work out some sort of long-ranging story arc like Feige did with the MCU. Ug. Even then it'd probably still be a steaming pile of crap.

What a laugh.

The franchise is a zombie.

I suspect if there is going to be another worthwhile "Star Wars" it will need to come from out of left field and from another indie filmmaker. Is that even possible?

Meanwhile, hungry for a good space opera? I recommend The Expanse.

P.S. Star Trek Into Darkness may be the best Star Trek movie or episode ever made.

Last edited:
It feels like he sold them a depleted mine.
To be fair, it’s not like Disney hasn’t already made its money back and then some...

Ultimately, Last Jedi and Rogue One both grossed over $1bn worldwide. ‘Solo’ grossed a more ‘disappointing’ ~$400mn.

It’s easy to get caught up in nostalgia in my opinion. The Star Wars universe is a new money-making machine along the lines of Marvel. There aren’t many MCU films that I truly think are ‘great’ films - but they’re fun, they cater to an audience and they make a ton of money. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Star Trek Into Darkness may be the best Star Trek movie or episode ever made.

I know that a lot of people don't like the reboots, I absolutely agree with you. That movie's referential enjoyment is dependent on a viewer's knowledge of the original series' Space Seed episode and THE WRATH OF KHAN movie. Through INTO DARKNESS' Khan character is totally different, I really like Benedict Cumberbatch's take on it. Different, but still great. :clap:

To be fair, it’s not like Disney hasn’t already made its money back and then some...

Great point, Jax. I guess Disney is doing very well in that sense. And good for them on that score.

When I wrote the "depleted mine" thing I was thinking of depleted story, not depleted minerals or whatever (profits). But preceding that with the "laughing to the bank" comment was sloppy and it muddled my intended meaning in the next statement.

I know that a lot of people don't like the reboots, I absolutely agree with you. That movie's referential enjoyment is dependent on a viewer's knowledge of the original series' Space Seed episode and THE WRATH OF KHAN movie. Through INTO DARKNESS' Khan character is totally different, I really like Benedict Cumberbatch's take on it. Different, but still great. :clap:

Awesome, Scoopicman! Very interesting insights for me. I'm glad you like it too.

Last edited:
I look forward to every STAR WARS movie, but this current trailer that shows Rey running and jumping to saber slash a 200mph speeding TIE fighter is ridiculous.

I was thinking of depleted story, not depleted minerals or whatever (profits).
Disney could never make another Star Wars film and they’d still profit off the IP for decades...

Don’t forget the expansion possibilities - Disney Channel shows, Hulu original series’, broadway musicals... 😏

Back