Starship Troopers is a controversial remake.

The original novel has been controversial for its political views, so the planned remake, which intends to be faithful to the novel, is controversial. That said, it has been accused of promoting fascism and racsim.

I would disagree.

In the first place, the novel came out in 1959, and it featured a drill sergeant who couldn't speak English when he got here. Furthermore, the protagonist was a Filipino who spoke Tagalog as a first language. In the 1950's, this was very progressive. Furthermore, the novel advocated giving the vote only to those who were willing to serve society before themselves, which is NOT fascism.

Last, but certainly not least, we should tolerate controversial viewpoints, and those who don't like the film shouldn't watch it. In other words, chill out.

So I'd be curious to see how this turns out.

I don't know anything about the book. I'm still waiting to hear back from my application for admission to Derek Zoolander's School For Kids Who Don't Read Good And Want To Do Other Stuff Too.

But yo, the movie is dope. I'm welcome to the idea of there being a new version of it, but I highly doubt it could possibly top the original. Which is amazing.

I haven't read the book. The 90s film version I thought kind of sucked and could have used a lot of improvement, so it would be a remake that I am looking forward to in comparison.

I haven't read the book. The 90s film version I thought kind of sucked and could have used a lot of improvement, so it would be a remake that I am looking forward to in comparison.

I dissagree.
I think it was great: the acting was a bit like a cardboard cartoon now and then, but that made it a bit 'lighter' as it didn't take the content too serious. The adds in the movie were brilliant. Verhoeven makes cynical TV adds :)

They had a follow-up animated series, and that was pretty good.

True.
Although it was hard to watch in The Neherlands: someone dropped the pile of tapes before they ware labelled so they were broadcast in a random order, while it had a continuous storyline...

Verhoeven's version was genius. Absolutely fantastic and knocks spots off anything else today. Have no idea how he managed to get all his crazy ideas past the producers but I love this movie.

Am dreading the new version. Am hoping at best, that it will be just OK.

+1
He balanced it precisely between too serious and too unbelievable.
The satire was mostly in the adds completely mocking the media centered society we live in and the movie's ideology. "Do you want to know more?"

Maybe I need to watch it again, but I remember not liking it cause I felt it had cliches, and was too by the numbers of a sci-fi action movie.

It starts out good setting up it's world but then just turns into another war action movie that I have seen so many times before, for the last half I felt.

... I remember not liking it cause I felt it had cliches, and was too by the numbers of a sci-fi action movie.

That was part of the satire, playing with cliches - and maybe even creating a cliche or two of its own along the way. :D

The book and '97 film are very different, so if they are going to make the new version "by the book" it will be a substantial departure from the '97 film.

Back