• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

RAW files are multiplying on import?

Hi folks,

Having just importing my first RAW files from my new BMPCC into Premiere, it would seem I have dozens of the same clips in the folder? I dragged a folder into the timeline and it was the same 15 second clip dozens of times?

I'm guessing I have got something very simple wrong somewhere along the way so any help is massively appreciated.

Cheers.

Cheers JJ, I had just done that and found it worked perfectly,I am assuming the Clip folders should contain a DMG file for each individual frame?Mine do and I am guessing Premiere thinks they're all individual videos not just stills and thus imports them all as a separate video?

Yes, raw is saved as individual frames on the BMPCC. Not sure why Premiere doesn't notice this and only bring it in as one clip but yes, it basically creates multiple video files when you bring in the folder.

Glad you got it sorted out.

It's not too bad, actually.. I can recommend the davinci training from ripple training. I bought it a couple weeks ago, the "Power Bundle" specifically. It's for Davinci Resolve 9 and 10, but pretty much everything covered directly translates to Resolve 11.

As for raw clip weirdness, if you have dropped frames you'll end up with multiple clips from that shot. Each time a frame drops, it's basically the same effect as stopping and restarting recording. Ideally you shouldn't encounter that if you're using the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64gb 95MB/s card. ;)

Cheers Will,

They're the cards I am using as I have a stock of them from my hacked GH2.I don't think its dropped frames I think it was just me importing every individual picture which Premiere didn't seem to like.

Am I right in saying that my most painless workflow will be to import footage into Premiere and create proxies,do my cut then export the XML into resolve and grade it in there?

No. The best workflow is to pull everything into resolve, and create your proxies there. That way you can apply a basic lut to the proxies so you're not staring at washed out footage while you edit.

Edit in premiere (or edit right in resolve, I've done it, it's not bad), export XML from premiere, pull that into resolve, and untick the option to import source media. That way it'll relink to the raw files, instead of using the proxies the xml refers to. You'll wind up with the same timeline from premiere, in resolve, linked to raw files. Then you can do your grade.

Ideally final render out should be from resolve, it's got much better color science than premiere.

I really would recommend this, if Resolve is really foreign to you: http://www.rippletraining.com/categ...ve-products/davinci-resolve-power-bundle.html

Back