• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch THE WHISTLE - horror short film (my first)

Hey everybody,

together with my little team I created a horror short film called "The Whistle".

We decided to create a short film without a big story and dialogues, because as we started, we didn't know anything about filmmaking. So we focused on a good camera movement, the post production and the sound design. It was also the first time we had to act :D Our audience is still very small. With a growing community we will significantly expand the scope of the films. Bit by bit, we want to improve our techniques :)

We put in a lot of work for the sound design and the post production. I hope you enjoy watching our first short film:

First film ever? Dang!

I watched until the end. I enjoyed it.

Shooting at night like that, I assume with wide aperture, makes keeping focus very important. There were a couple of places where focus seemed off, and not intentionally.

The film is titled "The Whistle" but we don't hear that at all until the very end. Seems like that should have been placed earlier and a little more frequently, tied to the shadow figure.

Overall, great job!

Shooting at night like that, I assume with wide aperture, makes keeping focus very important. There were a couple of places where focus seemed off, and not intentionally.
The problem was the tiny screen of the dslr. We definitely need an additional bigger screen. But we have learned from it, and will improve this for future projects :)

The film is titled "The Whistle" but we don't hear that at all until the very end. Seems like that should have been placed earlier and a little more frequently, tied to the shadow figure.

Overall, great job!

You can hear the first whistle at 0:49min, then there are several more times you can hear it. At the end there is a second whistle sound/melody (at 3:39min and at the end). It means there are two of these creatures who followed him.
Thanks a lot for the criticism and the praise! :D

nice work for a first short.
post production and sound indeed seem invested.
since you only wanted to try doing a short horror scene,
it's done nicely.
however, the downside for me is that i'm not too interested in the character,
and i only tried focusing on the production quality.

nice work for a first short.
post production and sound indeed seem invested.
since you only wanted to try doing a short horror scene,
it's done nicely.
however, the downside for me is that i'm not too interested in the character,
and i only tried focusing on the production quality.

Thank your very much! Yes, primary we focused on the camera movement, the post production and the sound design, but for future projects we will work on more interesting storys and characters :)

Very good. You've got the atmosphere down. Very creepy and scary. As with THE HOST, I would like to see more story motivation. The character might do something that triggers the event, even if it is just he discovery of the evil. Cause and effect.

Very good. You've got the atmosphere down. Very creepy and scary. As with THE HOST, I would like to see more story motivation. The character might do something that triggers the event, even if it is just he discovery of the evil. Cause and effect.

Tanks! For the next projects, I try to follow your advice and focus more on the story and its connections :)

Hey everybody,

since "The Whistle" we have learned a lot and growth the team.
Currently we are producing the second part of "The Whistle". The project has been in the planning for 5 months. We designed a monster for this, which we build ourselves in a laborious way. Pictures of the process will be uploaded on our Facebook and Instagram in the next days.

The following teaser initiates the project:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRVD1jPTQH4

Last edited:
@Baeppel_Entmt For your first film, it has a damn good quality. The story is the matter of taste. Plus, the atmosphere. (I find it a little bit cheesy with this everything-is-gloomy.)—Otherwise, it’s well-made for a beginner. The shaking, when the guy was chased, was ugly. You should avoid this. Do you have a Steadicam or this nice thing with small skate wheels? My tip is still read (or watch) famous movies of the genre, which you want. This still helps me with fiction. It’s also a good idea to read the books in the genre; because of the atmosphere and feelings.

Hey everybody,

we have finished Chapter 2 of "The Whistle". With a budget of 100 € we have produced the second part. The creature's head and hands are made of latex by ourselves (first time we did this). Furthermore we spent many hours for editing and sounding. Surely we could have done a lot better, but we learn more and more and try to put the gained experience into practice as well as possible :)

I hope you enjoy watching it.
happy Halloween! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx9-MiJYUgw

Back