• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Surviving Family $0.99 rental special

mlesemann

Staff Member
This weekend only (through Sunday July 19), you can rent my feature film Surviving Family on CineVolt for just $0.99 by using coupon code 5707134309. Here's the link:

https://www.cinevolt.com/movies/detail/surviving-family/

It stars Billy Magnussen (Rapunzel's Prince in Into the Woods, Kato Kaelin in the upcoming American Crime Story: OJ Simpson on FX), Phyllis Somerville (Little Children, The Big C), and Katherine C. Hughes (Madison aka the Hot Girl in Me and Earl and the Dying Girl).

As always, I'm happy to answer questions after you watch it :)

Last edited:
One day Mara, I hope you'll write a book about your indie distribution experience.

Hope the Amazon prime dist is working out well.

Good luck on the new film as well :)

Thanks TrueIndie - Amazon Prime & iTunes are both working out well.
I hope to have a trailer for the new movie ("Detours") within the next few weeks, and should be finishing post-prod by end-August.

I've actually got 3 books in mind that I want to write eventually:

One on casting (actors/casting directors/agents/managers/deal memos/lawyers)
A second on production (best & worst experiences, both planned & lucky/unlucky)
And a third on the highs and lows of distributing a (very) low budget indie feature.

cinevolt experience?

This weekend only (through Sunday July 19), you can rent my feature film Surviving Family on CineVolt for just $0.99 by using coupon code 5707134309. Here's the link:

[ :)

Would you mind commenting on your experience with Cinevolt?

I emailed Them and asked how do they actually generate revenue? Their response was they only charge for bandwidth. I thought this to be extremely reasonable. Do you agree? Have you had to pay for the bandwidth?

Looks like they are division of distribber...only the uber free model (but of course no posting on any other platform.). but it seemed good.

Last edited:
They are indeed owned by Distribber. I've been charged only for bandwidth .

I like Cinevolt a lot and hope more people use them for their own movies and web series going forward. I like that you can adjust your pricing and generate coupons, either that you make generally available - as I did this past weekend - or for specific people or groups (you can email a coupon that you generate). Also you can tweak the actors that you highlight in your cast list - useful if a previously unknown actor gains more prominence. I also like that you can use PayPal , as not everyone has a credit card that they want to use.

I haven't embedded it on my website because the movie is on several other sites as well, but I like the option.

I haven't embedded it on my website because the movie is on several other sites as well, but I like the option.

Sorry to bother you but you mind if I ask one more question.

Do you have it on other websites because it's a good marketing strategy? I'm just trying understand why you would have it on multiple websites, if it's the most economical/profit driven model. Maybe it isn't?

Do you have it on other websites because it's a good marketing strategy?

Yes, exactly.

It's also on Amazon Prime and iTunes, which both offer the potential for movie watchers to find the movie while browsing by actor, genre, etc. At this point, CineVolt simply doesn't have enough product on it for browsers to just run across the movie. From this perspective, Amazon offers the most (and pays the least on a percentage basis, 'cause they know it!): because they (Amazon) own IMDB, the 2 sites are linked. So if you look up my leading man Billy Magnussen (see link below), and look in the right hand column next to "Filmography," you'll see a list of his movies on Amazon Instant Video...and Surviving Family is at the top of the list. At the low budget level, that counts as good advertising :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2915105/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Last edited:
Back