How much is too much?

I'm not sure where to post this so since I'm working on setting up distribution I figured here.

Okay... as we all know you technically can't show a product or logo that is trademarked. A work around is by obscuring part of the product. In my feature we use a well known propane lantern (at least here in the States). Here are two frames from the film, the two that I consider the most problematic.

Should I be concerned about releasing the film with these two shots (frames) or do you think I'll be okay?

Frame 1
Frame 2

...well, this is what I haven't heard (read)....

I think we all know how much it takes to shoot something important to us, however, just how much effort would it take to re-shoot the scene? How prominent is the Coleman logo? If its only a frame or two, maybe you could fake it, which is why I am asking about how much effort.

...freedom of speech is cool and all, but when it comes to somebody's logo and how it is represented, things get really sticky...:huh: has a verdict on how to handle this been decided upon??

-- spinner :cool:

I'm thinking of just ignoring it since I can't reshoot (we shot the film six hours away) and blurring would be tough since in the actual movie the camera is handheld and moving quite a bit. I think, in the end, it happens so quick the vast majority of people won't even register it.

This is one of the things and E&O insurance in the US should cover, hence why you are mad eto take it out for all released. But it's a costly one and noone wants to have to make a claim. A nice catch 22...

But as I said we sailed through a US release with some rather liberal and accidental use of brand names (one lesson that was learnt) and so far have had no issues from over 14 tertitory releases so I think for the most part you will get away with it.

Thunderclap said:
I'm thinking of just ignoring it since I can't reshoot (we shot the film six hours away) and blurring would be tough since in the actual movie the camera is handheld and moving quite a bit. I think, in the end, it happens so quick the vast majority of people won't even register it.

...well if you aren't doing anything that would alarm Coleman, and if the logo isn't on screen long enough to register, and if your film isn't called the 'Coleman Serial Murders: A True Story' or whatever, you probably will be okay.

I am no expert, I know less than the folks who have posted so far, but next time, cover the logo.

I had an internship with an small advertising agency for a few months a long time ago. When it came to the 'clients' logo, it was a deal to even change the perspective of the logo, meaning if you made the logo look as though you were looking at it from the side or made it look as if the top was tapered and the bottom was wider, sort of like the text at the beginning of the Star Wars movies, it didn't matter that it was a recognizable logo. The client could get away with not paying you. All they would have to say was "that's not what our logo looks like".

I know that's not exactly the same thing, but again, when it comes to a logo, to represent their product, you have to be careful. That's why people show the back of potato chip bags in movies.

Cover the logo, better safe than sorry....

-- spinner :cool:

Adobe After Effects 7.0 has motion blur. I think you do would a clone stamp of the part of the canister that would be used to cover up all or part of the logo. You can actually do touch up work with Photo Shop alone, although more tedious and you can't preview it in PhotoShop.

Back