Fair producer's percentage

Here's my situation. After a few years in development, my own feature may now finally get made. I was contacted by another producer who likes my script and wants to help me produce it. Although they are not bringing any $$$, what they did offer is bringing a known talent who has quite a good fan base in order to start a crowdfunding campaign. Ok, fine I said. With the talent now attached to the film, funds may possibly be raised to make the film happen... something I'm not able to do on my own unless I get a hugh loan.

So my question is this... I need to draw up a producer's agreement and want to know what is a fair percentage to give the other producer IF THE FILM BECOMES PROFITABLE. I brought the project (script, production company, etc.) She brought the talent who's fans will hopefully donate enough to make the film. Is 50/50 fair for the profits of the film?

Btw, whatever funds are raised by the campaign, I do not consider that funds that she brings in. That is funds directly from the talent's fans and do not need to be reimbursed. Only profits that the film may make once distributed.

Thanks, guys!

No I have not.

I'm definitely with mlesemann on this one! As a general rule, always get an idea of the expectations of the person you're negotiating with. The easiest way to do that is simply to ask them.

Going in blind, with just your own idea/expectations can work and sometimes of course there is no other option but there's a strong possibility that it will make the negotiation far more awkward or at worst, end the negotiation before it even really starts! It's therefore definitely worth avoiding if there is anyway it can be avoided.

G

I really do think after all the blood sweat and time I've devoted to this project. I don't see giving anything more than 50/50 as fair. It's my film and I will still retain all creative control (choice of dir. final editing decisions, sequel and liciencing rights, etc.) All this talent would like is to have some producing credit added to their name. I got no problem with that. i just want to know what is a fair amount of the producer's share to give if his fans do end up funding the majority of the budget.

Perspective point of view:

What is your 40k investment and time worth if you don't get the funding and the project sits on a shelf for the rest of its life?

Does s/he need you or do you need them? Are they going to find another project without you? and vice versa?

Have you gotten any input from the talent as to what percentage he's looking for? That seems like it would be the starting point for negotiations.
No I have not. I wanted to present something to the talent as maybe a starting point and then go from there... Hence, my dilemma.

You're frigging kidding right? This has been going on since (before) July 2015 and you haven't asked the simple question, "So what were you thinking?"

Definitely agree with others. Just ask. If it is something you think is unreasonable, you can negotiate or at least ask for time to think about it. There is even the possibility that he will ask for less than you are thinking.

Perspective point of view:

What is your 40k investment and time worth if you don't get the funding and the project sits on a shelf for the rest of its life?

Does s/he need you or do you need them? Are they going to find another project without you? and vice versa?

You're frigging kidding right? This has been going on since (before) July 2015 and you haven't asked the simple question, "So what were you thinking?"[/QUOTE]

That's simply because up unitl now, the talent never asked to have producer credit.

If you don't want to post answers to my question publicly i'd still love to know more in a PM. Hopefully I'll be in a position like yours in two years.

Back