If someone associated with your film uses illegal software..

If someone collaborating on your film (e.g. a composer, a vfx artist, an animator, an sound designer, etc) is using illegal software - can there be legal repercussions for me (director/producer)?

It's unlikely something I do gets audited (at least at this stage), but say I have a killer idea for a short I can do on a tiny budget and it does well at a festival. I then get audited - I'm in the clear because I own adobe cc, and all the software I use. But one of my collaborators is found to have pirated software. Is it the collaborator's responsibility or mine?

Something tells me the OP won't be bringing their movie to an audio post studio.

What is that "something"? It certainly wasn't anything the OP stated! The OP stated; music and/or sound design collaborators (amongst others), where are those music or sound design collaborators going to be making their music and sound design? Bare in mind that I've already said "Waves have used this tactic against big commercial studios and small home type studios ...".

The OP was asking about getting into film festivals. And in that case, NOBODY EXISTS WHO IS CHECKING SOFTWARE RIGHTS.

Again, this is incorrect! The OP asked what happens if his film does well at a film festival and then one of his collaborators gets found out for using pirated software. There most definitely ARE people who exist who ARE checking software rights and you cannot dispute this fact as it's on record in a number of places, including the US Southern District Court of New York!

G

The OP asked if there would be an audit if his film does well, NOT if his friend is discovered to be a pirate. He is afraid this imaginary audit will find his friend out, and if he subsequently would be in trouble as well.

The OP asked if there would be an audit if his film does well, NOT if his friend is discovered to be a pirate. He is afraid this imaginary audit will find his friend out, and if he subsequently would be in trouble as well.

Thank you. And this is exactly what I'm trying to tell you, APE. There is no organization in place to audit films. That's not a thing.

The OP asked if there would be an audit if his film does well, NOT if his friend is discovered to be a pirate.

Huh? Do you know what this symbol "?" means? There are only two sentences in the OP which end with a question mark, see if you can spot them!! The OP did not ask if his film would get audited he asked whose responsibility it is and if there could be any legal repercussions for him if a collaborator was found to be using pirate software. Really, if you and CF are ever going to be writing scripts, you really should find out what a question mark is for!

Do films themselves get audited for software piracy, not that I know of. Do those who make films get checked to see if they are using pirate software, yes!

G

:yes: Now work on comprehension skills and you'll be on your way

Damn, you beat me to it but I'd add that knowing what a question mark is and where it's placed will take your comprehension skills to a whole new level.

Edit: There is a lot of crap in the film world, or at least a lot of stuff which those involved in the creative side of filmmaking view as crap but it still has to be dealt with if one is to make films. Unfortunately, some here seem to have a rose-tinted fantasy view of what the film world is or should be, that's why some of the threads I participate in end up this way!

Last edited:
APE, mussonman is right. Reading comprehension is about a whole lot more than just understanding punctuation. You have to take the whole thing in. Context is important. I assure you, mussonman and I both know how and when to use question marks?

The OP clearly stated that they are working with a tiny budget? That's how I know they won't be hiring an audio post studio?

The OP also made it clear that their main concern was that their short film might be audited. And I'm telling you, with no uncertainty, that short films don't get audited. That's not a thing!

Damn, you beat me to it but I'd add that knowing what a question mark is and where it's placed will take your comprehension skills to a whole new level.

I know we're at an elementary school level here, but a paragraph is often in conjunction with the final sentence. For example:

"It's unlikely something I do gets audited (at least at this stage), but say I have a killer idea for a short I can do on a tiny budget and it does well at a festival. I then get audited - I'm in the clear because I own adobe cc, and all the software I use. But one of my collaborators is found to have pirated software. Is it the collaborator's responsibility or mine?"

To you, the only piece of important information may be that final sentence there... but some of us like reading all of the information presented. Now, I know that's not your style so maybe we'll shorten it.

Here is a condensed version of what you didn't read:

"Hypothetically, let's say I have a killer short film that does well at a festival. Because it does well, I get audited. My collaborator has pirated software. Will I get in trouble for that?"

The rest of the thread is spent in explanation that either yes, someone will get in trouble, especially if they consider themselves a production company, or that there won't be an audit in the first place (unless somebody reports them)

You however, seem to think that the issue is that his collaborator was reported before this hypothetical audit took place. This is not the case.

Last edited:
The OP also made it clear that their main concern was that their short film might be audited. And I'm telling you, with no uncertainty, that short films don't get audited. That's not a thing!

Unless he were to claim the software as a tax write off, I don't even think it would matter if he did get audited and had a whole library of pirated software. Audits simply look for accurate representations of financial statements. If he doesn't claim the software on his financial statements, they won't even look at it.

I bet a lot of companies use software write-offs for small-time tax fraud. These are the people that should worry about an audit. Not someone who made a movie for nothing, with (allegedly) legal software, with (allegedly) a collaborator that uses pirated software.

The OP clearly stated that they are working with a tiny budget? That's how I know they won't be hiring an audio post studio?

The OP clearly stated "If someone collaborating on your film (e.g. a composer, a vfx artist, an animator, an sound designer, etc)". He also stated that he has a "tiny budget". Add these statements together and the implication is that the OP is not using a commercial audio post house but collaborating with students or semi-pros. But, those students or semi-pros still need a studio, even just a basic home studio (laptop with audio software, sound card, table to put it on, a chair, couple of speakers, etc), because without a studio of some type you cannot create music or sound design. That's how I know the OP WILL be hiring a studio (even if they are paying little or nothing for it). Big commercial facility or small home studio, Waves have gone after and won damages from both!

And I'm telling you with absolute certainty that those involved in making short films do get checked up on and do get prosecuted. I had an ex-student (I used to teach music and sound for film at a university) who was writing the music for a short film and came to me with a letter from Waves demanding £5k for using pirate software. A month or so later a musician turned up at the uni asking if I knew where the composer was (the musician was owed £50, about $75) and asking who the producer of the short was. My ex-student had apparently moved, I never knew who the producer was, never heard from my ex-student again and I didn't know the musician either, so I've no idea what the outcome of it all was. In the case of Skyline which, unlike my ex-student's little home studio, was a major commercial studio, Waves went after the studio for contributory copyright infringement, not after the sub-contractor who had actually installed and used the pirate software.

What difference does it make if short films themselves never get audited but the makers of short films do?

Nice try Cracker but you specifically stated that "Nobody is coming into your home to check that your software is legit. This isn't a thing that happens, not anywhere in the world." and: "No one is checking any filmmakers for their software licences. That's not a thing, it doesn't happen.". These statements are provably not true and you had the gall to state publicly that I was making stuff up!!! You are also ignoring this statement/question by the OP: "Alright, thanks for the feedback. My concern about my colleague made me consider that composer's and other people I've collaborated with may've used illegal software in the past. So it seems there is pretty little cause for concern. Is there anything I should do to make sure I'm not liable in the incredibly unlikely case that something did happen?

Keep on fighting if you want, but we both know that you have posted BS and are now just fighting in a vain attempt to try and save face!

G

Last edited:
You however, seem to think that the issue is that his collaborator was reported before this hypothetical audit took place. This is not the case.

Huh? I have speculated on how the producer/director might face legal repercussions for a collaborator/sub-contractor using pirate software, regardless of any hypothetical audit, as per the OP's very first question. I have speculated on how distribution might be affected by a software copyright infringement, essentially giving my take on what Knightly stated. And, I have given advice and examples, based on my professional experience, of how producers/directors protect themselves against sub-contractors using pirated software (or any kind of copyright infringement), as per the OP's question in post #20. I don't get what your problem is!

G

Yeah, individuals who illegally download software sometimes get caught. That's not news. And that's not what the OP asked about.

APE, in the instances you cite, did any short films get audited? Cuz that's what the OP was asking about. No, they did not. Cuz that's not a thing that happens. Ever.

Back