DIY Camera Rig

I'll start off by saying, I have not been on here for a LONG time. I dropped film and all that because I needed to catch up in school, but now that summer is just around the corner, me and my pals are ready to jump into this headfirst!

I don't plan on making one YET, but I know eventually I will want one.. so..

-Do any of you have yourself a DIY camera rig? (I am mostly interested in the shoulder mount, railing thing)
-Have a picture of it?
-Do you recommend one?
-How much did you spend on it?
-Rough outline of what you used to make it?
-What camera(s) did you make it for?

I'm also interested in seeing any DIY matte boxes!

I guess that's about it!

I built myself a (mostly complete) DIY shoulder mount rig.
IMG_0208-1.jpg

Panasonic GH1 with Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5

I definitely recommend one. It gives me far smoother video than I can manage handheld.
I spent around $35 on it, not including the tools I used (my Dremel, drill press, pipe cutter, etc.).
I mostly ripped off this idea, but with a different cutting board I picked up at Target, copper pipes instead of aluminum, and overall not as pretty.
I made it for my GH1, and it works quite nicely with all my lenses.

Pics of it in action on a day of shooting two weeks back (clickable thumbnails):

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2iRA8hqP6I

I made something very similar to that and it works great and was very cheap to build. If i could reccoment anything it would be making one with 15mm rails spaced exactly 60mm apart as if you do then you will be able to fit industry standard other kit such as follow focuses and matte boxes. This has proved invaluble for me!

The only other thing i'd reccomend is building a support arm that comes down and rests on your stomach as it will massively reduce the strain on your arms on long shoots!

Back