conditions for an exclusive

Hi guys!

I'm a filmmaker who has three web-series projects and a producer has asked me about the conditions for an exclusive on the three projects for X months. I understand that he reffers to X months looking for financial support.

I have my movie company since a year ago and I'd never have to value this kind of things. Does anybody know how much should I ask for this? $2000? $5000? $10000? More??? Less?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

I'm a filmmaker who has three web-series projects and a producer has asked me about the conditions for an exclusive on the three projects for X months. I understand that he reffers to X months looking for financial support.

I have my movie company since a year ago and I'd never have to value this kind of things. Does anybody know how much should I ask for this? $2000? $5000? $10000? More??? Less?
What will it cost you to give this producer an exclusive? That is
how much you could charge.

How much will the entire project cost - all three web-series? You
could ask for 10% of that for the exclusive.

Or...

You could ask the producer what he thinks is fair and then negotiate
if you feel his offer in unfair.

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for your answers. I was also asking more people and I'm gonna give you some details, if someone has the same doubt.

As we are not talking about the next Blockbuster... this is for a tv series (neither web-series, I was wrong). About $2000 is not a big amount per project and year... it's a reasonable amount of money.

More money could have been a problem.

So I repeat: 1 TV series project (don't think on blockbusters as GoT), 1 year of exclusivity in order to look for investors = $2000. It's OK.

Hope this can help other people in the future! :)

I understand that you won't show anyone the 3 series for a year, so the producer can try to raise the money he needs?

I have no idea what is a fair deal for that.
Where did you base your number on?

So I repeat: 1 TV series project (don't think on blockbusters as GoT), 1 year of exclusivity in order to look for investors = $2000. It's OK.

Hope this can help other people in the future! :)

That's $40 per week. A TERRIBLE deal. $40 a week for a full year. You
can't show it to anyone, you can't talk about it with anyone. If the
producer fails to find financing you now have a "failed" project that you
can do almost nothing with.

But a deal that way too many people would gladly take.

Good luck with your TV series.

What happens if this producer is impossible to work with, is full of crap, is a dead beat, etc, etc? You want to be able to fire someone for any reason. If you are the one putting up the money then this should be non-negotiable.

Hi guys!

Thank you very much!

Movies are reserved at a minimum of hundred of thousands and up in the millions. Television are in the tens of thousands into the hundreds of thousands. I suspect that the producer is a low end producer. But at that level we pay out a retainer of 8500 a month and 30% of money raised.

Back