Looking For Help Writing...

Hey, my name is Caitlyn and I am trying to experiment with directing in general, but specifically short films. However, in order to direct a short film I need to have a script, and unfortunately I am a horrible writer. I finally came up with an idea, I simply need a resolution. The plot line is:
"A teenage girl struggling with the momentous decision of her career decides to defy everyone's expectations (college & a steady job) and go her own way."
The only issue is that I don't know what triggers her decision to defy expectations. A family member's advice, a stranger's conversation, or maybe witnessing something... impactful? I would really love any insight on what would make for the most compelling story line.

Also, if you have any experience writing shorts, I would adore some advice on writing. I'd like to improve my writing skills so that I'm not continually coming up with shoddy ideas and abandoning them halfway through.

Thanks bunches!

What do you mean by go her own way ? Do you know what she's going to be doing with her time instead of a steady job

She see's the circus and decides to run off and become a clown.

It seems like you're making something character driven, so perhaps you should first form your character. I suppose that the first thing I'd ask myself is whether you want the film to be realistic, or more fantastic (and I don't mean fantasy like Harry Potter). Is the girl going to behave like an average rational human, or does she understand the deeper meaning that you (the writer) are trying to convey? Is the character going to be aware of her own growth as a person? How much like the real world is this story, and how much of it could never happen?

Do you know what this character looks like? You could do a reverse-Sherlock Holmes analysis, going from personality to appearance. Make up little side stories to fill out this character. Does she have a scar (okay, a scar is a little bit cliche)? Maybe she got it falling off a slide as a 4 year old and now she hates parks. Is she a "rebel?" Athletic? Smart?

Once you have the character, make up the events. Since you know what the end is--"defying expectations"--work form there. Imagine the words this character speaks, or the action that she does, that lets the audience know she's going against the grain. Going with my example of a character hating parks, maybe the finale should be in a park. Now go on to what leads to this decision, which is your original question. It depends on the decision. I personally would stay away from a single moment that changes this girl's mind, as it would make her seem fickle and weak. Several events slowly changing her mind in unison would make for a better story, in my opinion.

Also, I never just start writing a screenplay. I usually start with a short story that sets up my little world. Keep in mind that everything I just said is my unprofessional opinion, feel free to disregard it. As a side note, I am working on finishing a short film with a similar theme at the moment.

I know he's by no means any sort of screenwriting legend, but there was an interview with Ricky Gervais I saw a while back where he was discussing the making of the show "Extras" and he went into their writing process. They drew up the lead character, a complete full, 3D description of everything they needed. They KNEW that character, his beliefs and history and outlook on life.

They then sat round a table and just put him in hypothetical situations. In their focus towards comedy these were always cringeworthy scenes where they just asked, "What would he do?" which expanded to, "well the character doesn't like XYZ, so wouldn't it be interesting if the scene took this turn?"

Its obviously not groundbreaking, but the way they went into it just made me think how much fun they must've had just coming up with all these scenarios and rolling about the floor laughing about it.

Although your script seems to be a drama concept, you can write this the exact same way.

Just draw up this lead character and start throwing them into scenarios. These can all be thrown away as you go down the rabbit hole, but you will stumble upon events and new characters forming in your imagination as you go. Its then for you to refine these bits and create some kind of structure.

If its a character based drama focus on making that character the person you know best from now until the script is finished.

If you need any help with the writing feel free to give me a pm, happy to help further.

By "go her own way" I meant that she defies socially imposed plans. The idea is that she has a lot of pressure to go to college, stay close to home, and not deviate from what her family and teachers expect of her. So ultimately the theme conveyed is that you don't have to abide by what society expects of you if that makes you miserable.

KnightsFan: I definitely am making this very character driven. The audience I am presenting to is a group of high school kids that are all struggling with the same decisions. Also, the film needs to be under 5 minutes, I wish I could build my character more but I simply don't have the time. I have an outline of how to convey this long-standing internal struggle without using anymore than 45 seconds, so that using only a single event won't be such a character crusher. You have really great insight for building the script, thanks so much! I'd love to here more about the short you just finished! :)

LP13 That's a great technique, I never thought of doing it that way. If I weren't so strapped for time I would love to sit down with some of my film friends and definitely get a story going like that.

Also, the film needs to be under 5 minutes, I wish I could build my character more but I simply don't have the time.
With 5 min, you need to pack a lot of information into every scene. For example, a scene that JUST builds a character without also advancing the plot, or doing something else important is wasteful. Build character using posture, clothes, locations, sounds, cinematography, etc, whenever possible, rather than devote precious time to it. If you want a scene that specifically shows who the character is, at least make sure it's relevant to the plot and themes of the story.

You have really great insight for building the script, thanks so much! I'd love to here more about the short you just finished!
Thanks! It's not done yet, we've got another few weeks to work on music. It is a kind of philosophical question about the legitimacy of trying to do things, though only one person "got" it, so it's apparently simply about someone changing directions in life. I'd be happy to help with your screenplay a bit if you'd like, I'm interested because it's similar to mine.

Back