People Like SONGS in Indie Movies ? ?

Friends i want to know do people in West like songs in movies?i have seen that nearly in all the hollywood movies there are no songs the way they are in bollywood movies. what do you people think? what if there i a movie with songs(in the middle of the movie just like bollywood movies?)

There's all kinds of songs in movies over here. Usually a score, and some select songs.

I think ad2478 might be referring to actual musical-style movies.

To answer the question, singing and dancing performances in a movie is not common but it does happen occasionally. When it does, the movie is considered a "musical" and becomes a very specific genere of movie. These were very popular with US audiences around 50 years ago. Not as much today. Recently, movies like Chicago, Rent, Hairspray, and Phantom of the Opera have done reasonably well -- but these movies are all recreations of popular shows from live musical theater productions.

This is a simplified answer, based on the difference in cultural understanding.

Don't forget Sweeney Todd. I prefer to see these performances on stage and I don't particularly care for movie musicals (at least the modern ones), but I really enjoyed Sweeney Todd. Of course, that's just another successful stage play that migrated to the big screen.

Last edited:
Bollywood is a very different style, breaking out into song and dance does not work as well over here. You guys are used to seeing it, so it works, but over here, if in the middle of an indie film, they broke out into song and dance, it would take us out of the film. That said, there are some musicals that are very popular, like The Wizard of Oz, and Grease.

For the most part we use scores, and music in the background, which to some cultures may look funny. I can imagine if someone is not used to seeing a film with a score, they will think there is an orchestra somewhere in the scene.

First of all thanks John@Bophe for telling that they were famous in50 not now.

and you have under stood right what i meant. scores are some thing obvious...but i was specifically talking about song of bollywood pattern.But when i say music of bollywood pattern i mean the placement of songs which we see in bollywood movies because its obvious majority of the west will not take interest in instruments and the type of songs we have....
i was qurious about the placement of songs in the mid of movies. actually i have a friend who has a musical BAND which sings and composes JAZZ (metal) i though to make some thing with them ...like a movie of a music band...so obviously music will be there in middle.infact there might be 3 or 4 songs in the movie....that was my concern. because perconally i havent heard of any movie like this in the modern days

Last edited:
If you make a movie about a band, having the band perform several songs during the movie will not cause the audience to want to "reject" the movie just because the band is playing songs. (They might reject the movie for other reasons -- like if they don't care for the music or storyline).

The movie "This Is Spinal Tap" comes to mind. If you haven't seen it, it is a comedy shot as a fake documentary following the adventures of an aging British heavy metal band on tour in the USA. There a numerous breaks in the action to show the band performing on stage.

There are other movies where live music is casually worked into the action, like when kids are at a school dance or when people go to a bar and a band is playing on stage. Also, the recent biography movies about Ray Charles and Johnny Cash features plenty of musical performances. (There have also been other very successful biography movies about popular singers/musicians in the past.)

I think the reason movies like this are not affected by the musical performance is that the song occurs in a natural setting -- where you could really expect a band or singer to perform.

There have been many movies made about bands or musicians. And
they all feature several songs performed by the band or musician.

That Thing You Do
Grace Of My Heart
Josie and the Pussycats
Eddie and the Cruisers
This is Spinal Tap
Almost Famous
The Blues Brothers
The Commitments
Downtown 81
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
8 Mile
Sweet and Lowdown
A Mighty Wind

There are movies where songs a heavly featured
High Fidelity
Singles
Smithereens
Saterday Night Fever
Quadrophenia
24 Hour Party People
Velvet Goldmine
Bring It On

There are fictional movies about real bands and musicians
The Doors
La Bamba
Bird
Topsy-turvy
Ray
Walk the Line
A Coal Miner’s Daughter
De-Lovely

And movies about bands using the real bands
A Hard Days Night
Rock and Roll High School
Head

Once is a recent very successful movie about a songwriter/performer
that features several songs and even won an Academy Award for
Best Original Song.

Wow thats great

actually i have 2 different concepts then compared to west...actually in our country parents influence a lot on the decision of children that what career a child should take and music is not considered a pro career so my story will be of a struggling band which do something good for poor and needy people some how by musik for the mankind and they get accpeted by the parents... till that time they are scolded by parents to study and become doctor or engineer. i think this is atleast a little different idea from western people as they are not so influencial on their children

Last edited:
ad -- English translation could be misunderstood here. To us, "influential" could be good or bad. A teacher that sets a good example can have a good influence on the student. Everything a child learns from his/her parent(s) is an influence in the child's life. I think what you mean by your comment is that Western parents try not to control their children's decisions and allow them some freedom to make their own choices. This is true in some situations but certainly not all. Some Western parents have very specific plans for their children and do not allow the kids to make up their own minds. Some parents allow the kids SOME freedom but try to steer them towards what they think are good choices. Other parents just don't care at all.

As for your movie idea -- the music being used in this situation is similar to some of the movies mentioned in rik's list.

Last edited:
English translation could be misunderstood here

yes i think it has been miss understood. actually when i said influencial i mean that in our region parents literally force a child to choose specific field where as i am sure that you people defenatley have plans for your children but you dont force your children to do what you want by pushing them hard and without consulting them. I am sure you people talk to your children and do councilng. let me give you an example. my friend who recently completed first semester of BS Finance out of 8 is now being forced by his parents to do pharmacy and they are not willing to listen anything. where as my friend wants to do finance specializtion...but soon he will leave our campus as results will be delared for first semester.

i think i have clear the things?

and i believe if you take out the percentage of both countries, Pakistan will have higher rate of parents forcing their children without there consultation especially when we talk about the field of Music...dont forget the basic topic is linked with music...so i believe if you make a research in your country and of Pakistan that who(Parents) will permit there child to take music as a career .....your country will high rate of YES and we will have a high Rate of NO(by parents)

and again sorry this english has many meanings :D

Last edited:
ad -- yes, I understood what you meant. I thought someone else reading your post might forget you are in Pakistan and are doing your best to translate. No harm done!

i am honoured John@Bophe....that you are supporting me. that is why i love indietalk.i think i should type my name like this AD2478(From Pakistan.........:D)
that will be good?

thanks again John@Bophe you all are great

Back