Directing first ever Commercial

Hello folks,

Coming on here for a bit of a pep talk!

On Monday I will be Directing my first Commercial spot for a national client. I'm from a small Corporate and Music video background where I'm usually self shooting but I've done a couple of really successful Corporates for a marketing agency and they've given me a shot at a commercial. They've put together a hugely experienced crew which is great but I'm starting to get nervy. Simple things like whats the order of when I tell the DoP to give the camera speed, who will be keeping track of shot lists and choosing shots? Im used to doing these things myself for years.

I know I can do this, I always get what I want out of actors and my work is starting to be seen by the right people, I guess I just want a pep talk from people who have been there before!

Cheers!

Thanks folks, just updating this now its all said and done.

The shoot went brilliantly, the client are really pleased with how everything went. It all feels like a haze now but I've learnt so much in one day. The agency have called me in today and are allowing me to pitch for another national TV spot later in the week so they must be pleased.

Its been a lot of hard work to get to this stage and It'll be just as much work to stay here but every cold and rainy no budget short or music video, every 3am finish and 4 am start, every night slept in the car because a corporate client aren't paying for a hotel and I can't afford it, now seems worth the grind.

Thanks folks, just updating this now its all said and done.

The shoot went brilliantly, the client are really pleased with how everything went. It all feels like a haze now but I've learnt so much in one day. The agency have called me in today and are allowing me to pitch for another national TV spot later in the week so they must be pleased.

Its been a lot of hard work to get to this stage and It'll be just as much work to stay here but every cold and rainy no budget short or music video, every 3am finish and 4 am start, every night slept in the car because a corporate client aren't paying for a hotel and I can't afford it, now seems worth the grind.

Fantastic, congrats! Looking forward to seeing it!

Am still in the 'super hard grind' part personally but inspired!

Back