Filming Sex

I think Asad's advice is completely solid. But I really like the idea of shooting it early on so it's not hanging over the actors' heads.

I tend to agree with this. Plus, what happens if you wait till the end and the actors actually HATE each other? It's easy enough to fake passion, but it's harder to cover up hatred.

And what if you've got 90% of your movie shot and then one or the other just refuses to do the scene? If you've only shot one or two other scenes at that point, you can recast if forced. But if your footage is almost all in the can, that's probably not an option.

I guess it also depends on how long the actors are supposed to have known each other. If this is supposed to be a long-term, comfortable relationship and the eight billionth time they've had sex, then making sure they're comfortable with each other is key. But if it's supposed to be a new sexual encounter, then the nerves they might have in the beginning would almost certainly improve the scene, rather than detract from it.

Back