• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

simulate hand held camera in Vegas

I have some locked shots and want to make them look hand held, are there plug ins that do this? i know how to zoom and keyframe the frame so it moves , but i can't make it "Feel" like hand held.
I have Vegas 10.

The time = money way is to shoot some footage of the side of your house handheld. You can then use a corner from the house to line something up in your shot you want to add the movement to. Put the motion clip on another layer in your editor, then use the movement from that clip to keyframe the motion of the clip you want to have the handheld motion:
This is a test I did, using motion tracking to do the same thing, but the keyframing should work just fine... and this one is free (although I don't know the price of the plugin mentioned above).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSiFmEDl_gY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSiFmEDl_gY

I've had the New Blue Motion Effects for Sony Vegas a few years now. New Blue software works flawlessly with Vegas.

I am upset that my DP shot close-ups of the greenscreen interior spaceship stuff with on set camera shake. It is easier to control in post, where you can adjust the amout of shake to work with your scene. I had to add camera shake to everything in the spaceship interiors shots because of that F***up.

Edit:

You can manually do camera shake effects in the Pan / Zomm screen by tossing the angle of the picture frame at different points in your clip. However, it won't look as good or smooth as the New Blue Motion Effects version. I've tried it myself already.

Last edited:
The cool thing about my technique is that, as a director, you can really dial in the look you want for the camera motion... and it's got some "life" to it... the cam op's heartbeat show up as does the breathing. These don't exist in digitally created motion FX. If the cam op has to run, the speed of this motion increases as they catch and control their breath... plug ins don't show that and it "feels" artificial.

and if you have a motion tracker, it's super fast to apply - compared to hand keying the motion frame by frame.

The worse and most fake camera shake I've ever seen iis in the Six Million Dollar Man made for TV movie Gold something or other where Steve Austin punches a cave wall to punch his way out with a new passage and the whole picture frame shake was widely exagerated.

I'm doing my spaceship stuff like a perspective drawing. The foreground has more shake than the background. This is accomplished with layers, since the scene is greenscreened. That will add more realism than just a uniformed camera shake. The deminishing background can always fool the Human eye.

I hope to replace the cartoony spaceship backgrounds next spring with photorealistic backgrounds made for the scenes.

I am also purposely doing small earthquake effects with camera shake and sound effects when the cyborgs fall, so viewers depart from reality to get the idea the cyborgs are very heavy. They are 800 pound fighting machines. A motorcycle is 800 pounds. It will not shake the ground if it falls over. The cyborgs weight is not mentioned by any of the characters. So, I'm showing they are "Heavy Metal."

Back