Anyone read any indie film magazines?

Title says it all really, does anyone read any magazines on indie film or film making? I don't know what it is, but even in this digital age we live in I still really enjoy reading a good magazine, and I often try and pick up a copy of Total Film or Empire. So, I thought it might be fun to see what the filmmaking magazines out there are like.

I was considering a digital subscription to Filmmaker magazine (here), as it's only $9 for a year, and I do still enjoy reading magazines in a digital format. I was considering Movie Maker as well (here), although the price for an overseas subscription put me off. It also has a pretty useful link to the top 50 blogs for filmmakers on their website, so I found some cool websites that way.

So, yeah, anyone a reader? Or anyone have any thoughts on filmmaking magazines in general?

i was thinking about this but then...

i went on to youtube and saw there are so many videos with tips etc. And i realised i don't need a mag anymore...

The websites and blogs have sort of really taken over the print world.. at least for me..

I'm a big fan of American Cinematographer. Other than that I'll occasionally pick up an issue of Indie Slate at my local independent bookstore... It's the only filmmaking magazine they stock other than AC and I like supporting their business.

SinEater, American Cinematographer looks like an interesting read, their online store is closed now but I'll take a look when it reopens. Indie Slate is a bit harder to gauge from their website, find it a good read?

i was thinking about this but then...

i went on to youtube and saw there are so many videos with tips etc. And i realised i don't need a mag anymore...

The websites and blogs have sort of really taken over the print world.. at least for me..

I think there's no doubt about that. In the same way you could argue you no longer need to read an Xbox magazine because there's online websites that cover gaming, or something like Total Film because there is a ton of online film info, that's constantly updated and free, and so therefore offers plenty that a print magazine cannot. However, I'll still read magazines. I don't know whether it's the structure but I do still very much enjoy a magazine, even digitally (for example, I now read Total Film in digital form).

Long story short, I think it is very easy to survive without reading magazines, there are huge amounts of online resources, but I think they do definitely still have their place.

SinEater, American Cinematographer looks like an interesting read, their online store is closed now but I'll take a look when it reopens. Indie Slate is a bit harder to gauge from their website, find it a good read?

American Cinematographer can be extremely interesting, but it can't be considered indie. The same rules apply when it comes to cinematography, though. As for Indie Slate, it's a smaller more independent magazine, but it can have interesting articles concerning issues that people actually confront on the indie level like distribution and funding.

CinemaScope is my favorite film magazine. This is where I first read about films I think I'd like to see. The critics can be ponces at times, but it always makes for an interesting read.

It's not a "how to make indie films" magazine, if that's what you are looking for.

Last edited:
American Cinematographer can be extremely interesting, but it can't be considered indie. The same rules apply when it comes to cinematography, though. As for Indie Slate, it's a smaller more independent magazine, but it can have interesting articles concerning issues that people actually confront on the indie level like distribution and funding.

Oh yeah, obviously something like AC isn't going to be focussed on more indie issues, but I'm interested in general filmmaking info as well so it looks like a nice magazine. In the same way I've got cinematography books as well as stuff like the Guerilla Filmmakers series. I'll definitely look to give both a go though. Getting a copy of Indie Slate may prove difficult in the UK, but I'll give it a try. Think I will go for Filmmaker magazine as well, it looks an interesting read and very cheap.

Anyone else have any recommendations? I'll look to give some insights when I've read some. I think if you're passionate about something it's always going to be interesting to read further into any aspect of the subject :)

I actually read quite a few magazines. I had to go check the stack in my bathroom for all of the titles.
Indie Slate
Digital Video Pro
Creative Screenwriting
American Cinematography

There are more, but I didn't feel like digging through the back issues.

Back