• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Off screen antagonist

Hey guys, I wondering your opinion on a problem I have in a feature length script.

Basically in our initial draft we have a fairly traditional protagonist vs antagonist structure however we don't have them physically meeting in the last act mainly for many reasons but mainly plot driven.

My worry is that though they are aware of each other I keep coming back to the best protagonist/antagonist's in film come into contact with each other early and often. Is there a way to make their connection personal and dramatic without on screen contact? Any examples? Cheers

If you are worried that your current method isn't working then
it might not be working. There may be many different ways to
make their connection personal and dramatic. I can't offer any
examples because I know nothing about your story and characters.

Perhaps your plot (the one that doesn't allow them to physically
meet) is the problem. Sorry I can't help more.

Don't forget that your primary antagonist need not be the same as the forces of antagonism.

Think of Star Wars Episode IV. It's clear Darth Vader is the primary antagonist yet he appears on screen for a maximum of 12 minutes. He doesn't come face to face with Luke in that movie.

Frodo and Sauron never officially 'meet'

Both movies however have plenty of antagonising forces that contribute to the main character's struggle.

The protagonist needs to struggle against something, but that doesn't have to directly be the primary antagonist in person (or at all depending on the particular scene)

Four movies off the top of my head that did this are You Only Live Twice, The Silence of the Lambs, Manhunter and Seven. Although in YOLT, the protagonist still had other smaller antagonists to fight off, until reaching the main one.

Thanks a lot guys, good examples which I think have confirmed my confidence that we can keep the antagonist off screen for the first 2 acts which will hopefully make the confrontation more impactful

There's nothing wrong with them never physically meeting. Hell, there's nothing wrong with them never even communicating (think Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget)

Back