• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How short can a spec screenplay be?

On some pages, the minimum is 90 pages and some say it can have as little as 85 pages. Other web pages say this is too short and the minimum page length is 110-115...Which of these ideas is right? Thank you for reading and answering this!:)

There is no die hard rule but the general expectation I believe is ninety. Also I think people are more aggravated with too long than too short. So if your polished screenplay is eighty five pages still send it out in my opinion. If you're submitting to competitions they will let you know their guidelines so you can know for sure.

Depends on the project. Most, though not all, films run about 90 minutes in length. By the standard 1p=1m guideline, that is about 90 pages. It's inexact so the actual page count can vary from 85-100. For some genres, the theatrical film run time is 2 hours and occasionally 2.5 hours. Then the scripts tend to be 120-130 pages. For television, time must be allowed for commercial breaks. So an hour program can actually be 45 minutes long. Most hour tv scripts are about 50-55 pages. So generally a script written between 90-110 pages is an ideal range for feature scripts adaptable for theatrical or MoTW television release. There will always be exceptions.

If there is a specific limit placed by a festival, contest or production house, that must be observed. Otherwise, there is no specific rule how long a feature script must be. The longer it gets, the higher the production costs and the more taxing it becomes on the audience. However, for theatrical release, most production studios and theater owners want to turnover seats. So a 1.5-2 hour window (90-120 pp) is dominant. With more media being delivered in home (DVD, BluRay, VOD, cable, etc.), it will be interesting to see what effect that has on the length of original content. Given 'netflixing' maybe sitting through a six hour narrative will be reasonable if it's at home in your pajamas. While in a theater probably not so much.

As time focus stated above, I know I've heard that under 85 pages for just feels too short for people.

Feature films rarely play at under, say, 89 minutes, and most people give a little a leeway one way or the other on the one page=one minute formula.

I think I heard John August, (who is a professional screenwriter and worked as script reader for a studio,) explain another reason you should keep a spec closer to 90 pages. He explained it this way:

The vast majority of spec screenplays are anywhere from 95-120 pages. So, when somebody is handling and reading spec scripts all the time, this is what they are used to handling. Now, when your script starts to be 85 or 80 pages, you are talking about something that is at least ten pages less than what they are used to handling. Believe it or not, an 82 page script actually physically FEELS light to them.

However, he also points out:

When you are reading spec scripts and you're tired from week of work and have a stack of them on your coffee table to read for the weekend, the first thing you do is go through and find the ones that are 90-95 pages, and you save the 120 pages ones until later.

As a former story analyst/studio reader and agency assistant I concur with most of the responses here.

under 80 is too short. There's not likely enough here for a film or it's mostly action, limited dialogue. Very rarely are feature length scripts ever this short.
80-90 is light. Might be ok for a comedy or animated film. Otherwise, it's probably too short.
90-110 is ideal.
110-120 is long-ish, but still acceptable
120+ your script better be amazing
130+ don't do this

And yes, readers and assistants do flip to the back of the script to see how long it is before reading and for scripts 120+ pages, you're at a disadvantage from the beginning. They will be harder on your script and find things they don't like much easier.

Last edited:
Back