• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Filmmakers Wanted to Produce How-To Shorts (Howcast.com)

Up-and-coming filmmakers, internet superstars, film students and recent graduates -- make stellar how-to shorts for Howcast.com, one of Time Magazine's 50 Best Websites of 2008. Build your reel without quitting your day job (or cutting class) with the Howcast Studios Emerging Filmmakers Program.

Work with topics that inspire and experiment with new production techniques and story-telling devices. Build a following of viewers as we distribute and promote your videos across the web (on AOL, Yahoo!, Break and others) and beyond (to TiVo, iTunes, and others). Emerge as a truly professional filmmaker with the production, creative, and entrepreneurial chops to establish yourself in the industry – and have fun and make some extra cash while you're at it.

Howcast provides a short script, signature graphics, pre-recorded voice-over and audio tracks from our growing music library. You provide the vision and basic requirements:

o 3-chip (ccd or cmos) video camera or better

o A computer with editing software (Final Cut Pro or Express are ideal, but Premiere, Vegas, etc. also acceptable) and an internet connection

o Some shooting gear (lights, tripod) also very helpful

Learn more, apply and get creative today: http://www.howcastfilmmakers.com.

E-mail Heather Menicucci with any questions at emerging_filmmakers@howcast.com.

Hey,

Thanks for the welcome!

There's a cash stipend of $50 for every accepted video, and down the road, revenue sharing when a video exceeds 40,000 views on Howcast.com, but I should say the program is really about creativity, experience, exposure and promotion. Plus, Howcast spots are excellent reel-builders for new, fresh directors.

I can't wait to see what you make!

-Heather

I have all of the required equipment. And $50 seems fair.

Any tips from you on how to get a video accecpted?

Sure -- my best advice is to watch some of the spots that have already been accepted (they're all tagged as Emerging Filmmaker on Howcast.com).

Also, when you apply, you'll download our Production Guidelines, which will include everything you need to know as well as suggestions for being accepted.

Off the top of my head, I'd say, be creative; make sure you illustrate the script clearly (keep in mind people will be learning a task from your video); make sure the exposure looks good (not too dark or bright); and follow the style guide for editing the graphics.

Here's some of my recent favorites from our Emerging Filmmakers:
How To Pack a Beer Cooler
http://www.howcast.com/videos/35037-How-To-Pack-a-Beer-Cooler

How To Stand Up to a Bully
http://www.howcast.com/videos/35338-How-To-Stand-Up-To-a-Bully

Thanks!

Best,
Heather

Back