When the ensemble cast movie becomes as annoying as sports dynasties...

indietalk

IndieTalk Founder
Staff Member
Admin
The ensemble cast movie can be great, or as annoying as sports dynasties grabbing up all the star players, creating what I consider an unwatchable ensemble of Hollywood elites interacting instead of acting. The Oceans 11 remake is what I propose as an example vs. Pulp Fiction where the ensemble cast is brilliant and not for the sake of.

No no no not 8, 11, the Clooney self-gratification one! I would give 8 a chance. :)

The commercials just dig up old wounds lol!!!!

The only people that would not like Ocean's 8 are sexist. It has such an amazing, talented and beautiful cast.

It may just be me but I find it hard to watch when certain "super" stars are lumped together, where it appears they are overacting or just chumming it up on screen... Julia Roberts, Clooney, Pitt all bothered me in this. I also hated The Mexican for the same reason so maybe it's just an actor thing for me, but I do like them in other roles.

As far as Oceans 8, Bullock really annoys me too, when she falls into the typecast unrefined, crass, unlady-like roles... comes across as over the top... but in other roles, she's great. I wonder how she plays this. If she's chewing and spitting tobacco well... ;)

I've never liked a single oceans movie.. i think it's like youre saying with the ensemble cast thing.
They are more focused on the interactions and giving each major star their screen time.

Focus should be on a great story and we all know if they were unknowns cast in those roles that the script would be different.
Maybe it works with just 8? Thats better than 11.

I've never liked a single oceans movie.. i think it's like youre saying with the ensemble cast thing.
They are more focused on the interactions and giving each major star their screen time.

Focus should be on a great story and we all know if they were unknowns cast in those roles that the script would be different.
Maybe it works with just 8? Thats better than 11.

Yeah I feel it's star overload, the ensemble does not have to be star packed, and I believe you are correct in, they will write scenes just to have two stars interact that may not have anything to do with the story and it becomes annoying. It's about as exciting as the NBA all-star game, lol... I'll take the regular season and gritty teams that battle it out with stars and bench... that's "story" vs star power.

What do any of you think about the original "Oceans 11" (1960) with the "Rat Pack"?

To me what sets it apart from the current crop of "Oceans" films is that the 1960 original was completely tongue-in-cheek, full of in-jokes, and was partially an excuse for the Rat Pack and affiliated folks have a good time together on a film set. (Apparently the partying on and off set was legendary.)

77138_full.jpg

I felt the same way about the remake, and what what I meant when I said they were "chumming it up." A lot of them were friends and I don't know the cast enough for inside jokes but why did Brad Pitt have food in his hand in every scene? Etc. Some sort of joke. These guys aren't the rat pack though so it didn't work as well.

The only people that would not like Ocean's 8 are sexist. It has such an amazing, talented and beautiful cast.

So, if women played the main characters, then men has to like it, otherwise they are sexist, really?

Irrespective of male or female protagonists, good movies are the one that connects to both heart and mind (or at least one!). All About My Mother, Volver, Notes on a Scandal, Persona - all these movies have couple or more female protagonists and all are beautiful movies. To me, Ocean's 8 is just another movie where one can watch for time pass (not necessarily you need to like it) and forget once we come out of the theater. Movies are subjective and for some people, it might be a 10/10.

Last edited:
I thought Qualitys post was sarcastic/hyperbole and i'm surprised everyone took it literally

Back