• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch What do you think of this promo? How much should I charge for something like this?

Hi guys, I've just registered. Flicked around the forum for a couple of days and figured it'd be a nice place to get involved.

I haven't been at videography for very long. Graduated from a screenwriting MA about a year ago, and started my own videography service to take advantages of opportunities in the area.

There isn't a great deal of competition around here, so I'm in need of some rational feedback from some likeminded guys.

Here's my latest project, which I did for free. I got the job the day before the festival.

Out of interest, how much would you charge for video content like this?

https://vimeo.com/110648694

Well... it's all natural lighting, so nothing special in that regard. However, the shooter clearly spent an entire day (or more) at the event gathering footage. Which then needed to be cut. Probably somewhere are $1k minimum.

Thanks, Will. That was my third project. I got on board with the festival for free for the experience, simply to test out my own work patterns. £700 minimum feels about right. It took me about 5 days to cut it. I'll feel more confident about pricing next time!

Out of interest, how much would you charge for video content like this?
A freelancer charges by the time spent. Not by the content or the
finished product.

So...

In my case I decide on how much I need per hour, then how many hours
a project will take. Then I figure out how many people the project will need,
how much each person will be paid and how many days (or hours) they will
be needed. Then I charge for equipment – if I rent I charge the rental to the
client, if I use my own I charge a rental fee.

For your project. One day shooting, one person, one camera: $400. 60
hours of post at $45 per hour $2,700. Since you're just starting out you
may not be able to charge that kind of money so cut everything in half
and it's $1,500. For one person. Not too far from Will's number.

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the business side of film, but where would you go to sell something like this? Does a news station buy it? The organization who threw the festival? How do you go about finding buyers?

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to the business side of film, but where would you go to sell something like this? Does a news station buy it? The organization who threw the festival? How do you go about finding buyers?

Marketing. This is the only difference between people who are making money and those who are not.

Last edited:
It depends on how much they reserve fund for VIDEO ADVERTISING

It's not based on your ability. Once they have hired you , then it's done.

Usually they might go for 2 grands for advertising.

Demand 8 .

Usually, this kind of corporate/promo-stuff isn't sold after making it. (At least it's not the way I work.) You get hired to create it for the client. In this case it would be the organization who threw the festival (or a sponsor).

But to get the job you need to 'sell' your skills.
And then comes the point GA makes: marketing!
Because nobody can hire you, if they don't know you exist.

Back