New to filmmaking--equipment question

hello,

I am planning on creating my first feaure film. Can someone please tell me what Avid (or other) nonlinear editing system I should get? I will be using MS Windows.

Additionally, I am also planning on getting the Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera, and have bought Final Draft. Are these good choices?

Comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated--thanks a lot!

Kit

The question you need to ask yourself is, what am I planning to do with this feature when I've made it?

Your decisions on kit will be determined by your answer to this question.

Final draft is a good piece of software. I don't use it myself, but I know a lot of people who like it.

If I remember correctly, the Panasonic AG-DVX100 is a semi pro camcorder, but with progressive scan which gives a more filmic look. It is however, if we're talking about the same camera, a mini DV camera. I also think that it's a 4:3 ratio camera, without a true 16:9.

If your intention is to shoot a feature length production, in order to demonstrate your ability to pull together a feature, then I don't see any problems with this camera (You might look at the Sony PD150 asa well). If, however, your intention is produce a movie that you can sell, this camera probably isn't going to give you sufficient picture quality to make a sale.

What it is though, is a really good camera for learning about basic film production. My understanding, is that that is what it was designed for.

In terms of editing software, Avid Express is used a lot in the TV industry for ENG, unsually in conjunction with cameras like the Panasonic or the Sony PD150 (which at least is DV Cam). My preference for low end video editing is Final Cut Pro. I must admit though, that I despise MS Windows with a passion and am completely Mac based.

What I really advise s for you to think about what return you are expecting to get out of this investment in kit? Before you spend thousands on camera equipment and video editing software, do some research into what films that get distribution are shot on.

At the moment, with very few exception, we are talking about Super 16mm Film, 35mm Film and High Def Video, with maybe new formats like Panasonic Pro50 and DigiBeta having a handful of sales.

It is true that there is a whole underground movement of mini dv movie makers, many of whom distribute through non-industry methods. Some of them do fantastic work. Your equipment list would fit that profile perfectly.

In my opinion it's better to invest time and money in the script and researching where the movie is going to be seen, before making any rash decisions about kit. The kit doesn't make the movie, a good script, good cast, good locations and an understand of distribution get the movie made and seen.

Confused priorities…

Great post Clive!

Confused priorities…

Please take this with an open mind. This applies to those of you who want to make films for commercial distribution. If you are an indi filmmaker who despises the industry and wants to remain completely authentic to your vision, then there are no guidelines that apply to you, for your vision will guide everything you do. But if you are a filmmaker that wants to eventually produce films for distribution, read these short lines.

Most of our producers are trained overseas, but we always talk about the small American indi filmmaker’s obsession with equipment. The view that having your own camera makes you a filmmaker. The need to spend thousands of dollars on equipment before you spend 200 dollars on getting a screenplay covered, or $1000 for a good business plan or consulting from an industry insider. There is a basic misunderstanding of commercial indie filmmaking – a failed ‘I’ll do it all’ philosophy that is bound to provide the filmmaker with more frustration than joy. New filmmakers fail to realize that making the film is not about finding and owning the equipment or learning how to use a camera, but about creating good development packages, managing ideas, screenplays, staff, and ultimately becoming a producer with a clear understanding that the director of the orchestra does not need to know how to play the flute to be able to direct Mozart’s requiem. One day indi filmmakers will leave the cameras to the cinematographers and cameramen and will spend their energies creating films.

New filmmakers should be asking about distribution strategies, casting, and staff… about the best ways to approach entertainment attorneys, what is a negative pick up, how to get a producer’s rep, how do I make business plans for my films, and what are the components of a good development package. Those are the questions that new filmmakers need to entertain. Otherwise, indi filmmaking will continue to consist of a handful of lucky few and millions of frustrated directors with expensive cameras and a closet full of unseen works.

Maybe this is worth topic of its own since the confusion may be at the basic definition of “filmmaker”. Who is the true filmmaker? The director, the producer, the cinematographer, the cast? And what roles do we, and should we, play as independent filmmakers? Cheers.

I think the breifness of your original post has lended to some good posts about "why" you need this stuff. Both were good and I got info from both, but ...

I'm just gonna answer your questions ...

misterdarkie said:
I am planning on creating my first feaure film. Can someone please tell me what Avid (or other) nonlinear editing system I should get? I will be using MS Windows.

If you can get an AVID system and can learn to use it, get it and go. It is the non-linear editing software and system. It's the King.

But, if you are planning on putting the software on your PC - which is what I am guessing - go with Adobe Premiere or Final Cut for Windows.

misterdarkie said:
Additionally, I am also planning on getting the Panasonic AG-DVX100 camera, and have bought Final Draft. Are these good choices?

As stated before, the real answer to your question lies in why you are doing the project. But as far as I'm concerned, Final Draft is a good thing to have (it beats writing screenplays in MS Word, which is what I did for 6 years), and I haven't heard any bad things said about the DVX100.

Good luck.
Poke

By the way, there is no Final Cut for Windows (unless it’s brand spankin’ new). It only works on Mac. Premiere is the best for Windows based editing because Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, and Photoshop integrate perfectly and are more versatile than Avid Express. They are very easy to learn. Also the Adobe DV package with all 4 programs is about the same as the Avid. But if you’re going to buy a turnkey dedicated editing system and can drop several grand, by all means buy an Avid.

While I am not out to diss any of the above choices, I own Avid Xpress 3.5, the Adobe Premiere Pro Suite and Sony Vegas 5 and Vegas is the only thing I use. Download the trial versions of all of these and see what feels right for you. And don't assume that because something costs more than the other that it is "better". I think Avid is learning this lesson in credibility right now.

Your choices of the Panasonic DVX100 and Avid are good choices. As others have said, Vegas and Premiere are good also.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but how much filmmaking experience do you have? My advice is don't try a feature right out the gate. You should make some shorts first just to learn the ropes. You can get those beginner mistakes out of the way on something that takes a few days instead of months.

Scott

misterdarkie said:
hello,

I am planning on creating my first feaure film. Can someone please tell me what Avid (or other) nonlinear editing system I should get?!
Don't buy editing software. Hire a talented editor. Let the edtitor decide which package they prefer for whatever reason they prefer it. And they may already own the computer & software, to boot!

Belive it or not, a skilled editor (like a skilled cinematographer) will be much more able to realize your creative vision than you will.

You'll spend weeks struggling with unfamiliar software, cursing over sound synch issues, and wondering why your actors are so dull. Your editor will already know the software, can synch hours of film with no effort (& keep it in synch!), and will magically improve the acting with cleverly timed cuts & by cheating the dialoge.

Plus, the editor will bring an additional set of eyes & ears with a different perspective to the story, which will help you to tell the story more effectively.

All of which frees you up to concentrate on the story itself. And the marketing. And finding an audio house. And a distributor. And...

Wow I see sooooo much of this on indie talk, if someone askes a question, instead of answering it people always say "actually, you are doing everything wrong. You should do things this way, oh but you probably don't know about this this this and this. You know, you don't seem like you could even make a film at all." Not to say that everyone is like this, but SOME people can be really nice when giving advice and SOME people can be right know-it-alls. Is it just me? I guess I am going off topic here... maybe I'm just in a bad mood.

*shrugs*

I have always been of the opinion that idietalk has some very talented, kind people. Some of these people have been in this field for a long time and I personally really appreciate all of their comments. As for not answering the question, I think they actually do. Sometimes it's just necessary to say "hey, I've been there before; it's easier to go this route."

Try visiting dv.com sometime ;). It gets really bad there which is rather disheartening and unfortunate.

There's a difference between what's being said here - in essence, "It would be better to go this route ..." - than what has been said in other topics - in essence, "You are stupid for trying this." Would I have worded my post differently? Well, yeah, I did. But the way Scott and Arnie's suggestions came across to me was okay.

By the way, notice that Arnie, an editor, is suggesting hiring an editor. This is his point of view and he has a right to express it. Especially since it's his livelihood. There's a reason that people have strong opinions.

And as for Indie Talk being full of know-it-alls, this entire industry is like 85% know-it-all. It's a drawback of art, everyone thinks they're the best at it.

Just keep on keeping on, and try not to let the turkeys get you down.

Poke

I thought all the replies were extremely useful, especially considering the original poster qualified his/her experience.

I don't see it as "you are doing everything wrong" when replies come in from different angles... and given that most people don't know each others' experience (as relatively anonymous contributors), it is often useful to add tidbits that another may not be aware of. Heck, I take all the input I can get. ;)

this entire industry is like 85% know-it-all

I would have you know that it is more accurately 98.7%, thank you very much!*

*Note: a joke :P

Note about my earlier post:

Please don't take that seriously, I was just in a really bad mood yesterday and I didn't mean to take that out on any of you. I promise not to let myself near the computer on my off days again.

P.S. Even in my little insanity spell or whatever the heck that was, I still thought arnie's and scott's posts and some others were really good.

Zensteve said:
I would have you know that it is more accurately 98.7%, thank you very much!

I knew that.

Tine said:
Note about my earlier post:

Please don't take that seriously, I was just in a really bad mood yesterday and I didn't mean to take that out on any of you. I promise not to let myself near the computer on my off days again.

Don't worry about it dude. You are right about some folks being know-it-alls.

Poke

I do agree with Exporart but since part of the business plan includes a top sheet (budget) and in most cases, financiers ask for breakdowns, shouldn't a filmmaker know about the equipment? I think knowing your camera and editing equipement is a plus especially if you're going to be interviewing your cinematographer and editor. And also a question about final draft - I've been using it for more than five years now. Exporart is right about getting a script coverage before you even start your preproduction. I'm not endorsing anyone but I would recommend getting Syd Field's how to write a screenplay. That's how I started.

Good luck.

BTW - This is one of the best sites for indiefilmmakers. I discovered that there's no such thing like a stupid question. All my threads have had a very good response.

thanks much everyone

Back