Reasons why your talent or crew would not respect you?

Hey guys,

I'm wondering what are some reasons the actors or the crew wouldn't respect or take you seriously.

I guess I'm being overly cautious since nothing like that has happened in the past. For once, I get a big break and am finally able to do a much larger production. I'll be working with a lot of people that I haven't worked with before. And a much bigger crew than I've ever worked with before.

Anyway, I was wondering what are some reasons that the talent or crew wouldn't, let's say, start you on the good end of their spectrum. Not exactly "disrespect" you, but I guess "undermine" you.

Do you think it might be affected by your: Age, Credentials, Physical Size / Look, Clothes, Speech / Tonality, Gender, for some examples? What are some stories you have or have heard of directors being undermined but then rising high above expectations?

Specifically, I am wondering if my age and list of credentials & credits would make them doubt me. Of course, with being younger it's expected. But I've always done my best and worked hard to change minds. I just want to be prepared in case it happens : )

_

Last edited:
The best thing you can do is to be totally prepared. Yes, preproduction and all that, but you have to be prepared mentally as well. This includes keeping a cool head during a crisis. Even if you're completely flustered by a situation you can't let it show. They want to know that you are always in control and on top of things.

Put out for them; take care of them - make sure that they're well fed, have someplace comfortable to hang out and relax, keep everyone fully informed.

You have to show that you fully trust and support the people working with you. And semantics here are important; I said working with you, not for you, even though they are your "employees". You may be the boss, but these people are your partners in creating a piece of art, and you have to create an atmosphere of creative partnership; you have to communicate your ideas thoroughly and clearly and then trust them to do their jobs.

You also need to have good people skills. Each person will have their owns strengths, weaknesses and quirks, and you will have to adapt your approach to each individual. Treat them like the professionals they are and most of them will act like professionals. Yes, your word is final, but really listen to what they have to say. This engenders the feeling that they are important to the project; and they are important to the project. Seriously consider their suggestions; most of them will want the project to be as successful as you want it to be, and they may have an idea that will improve the final product.

When an error or problem occurs you take responsibility for it, even when you're not totally at fault, because the final responsibility really is yours. "Yeah, I should have though that through a little more." "Sorry, I guess I didn't make my instructions clear enough." "You were right, we really did need xxxxx."

And if someone is a disruption be prepared to calmly resolve the situation for the good of the rest of the cast and crew - and your project.

The bottom line is if you respect them they will respect you.

As Alcove said, you respect them they will respect you.
Also having confidence (but not cockiness) will go a long way in people listing to and respecting you. If you act like you are unsure of your decisions or don't know what you doing, their confidence and respect in you will dwindle.

#1 - Confidence. Fake it if you have to. Always make them think you have it under control, even if you're clueless at the moment of what to do next. If this happens, buy yourself some time by calling for a simple shot and you can collect your thoughts while they set it up.

#2 Be quick to rid your crew/cast of people who disrespect you on the set or continually second guesses your decisions.

Thanks guys. Great, great insight. I mean it!

Have Rarely Met Bossy Nasty Directors:
I always respect my crew. I've actually never seen in person, another director disrespect or belittle the talent or crew they worked with. I've "heard" stories of course, but personally, with directors I've learned from and worked with, they've never done that and seem extremely nice and socially.

The most I've seen is when another director has sometimes been "Straight forward" in how they want to set up a shot, but were not bossy or anything like listed above. I always thought the "bossy, frowny, whiney director" stereotype was something you see in movies; a satire of the director role.

Respect Them and They Will Respect You:
I'm always of the mind that because the director has so much to look over, you're actually more humble - it can't be done without others' expertise. I was sorta surprised at the "respect them and they'll respect you" notion. Because I believed that most directors are respectful of their crew anyway. I wish the notion were always true though, since some people still don't respect you even if you respect them. Not just in directing, but in different areas of life. Rather than coming off as a bossy director with people at his command, I tend to feel with big projects, I'm sorta "the little guy" who has to prove himself. Obviously, if you have your stuff together + allow them to trust you + and do your best = the higher the chances you have of them respecting you.

More to Prove?:
I just feel like, compared to a much older director, I have more to prove. For example, am I to change my lingo and jargon and use the more advance terms to 'appear' more sophisticated? I'm wondering if that would help. (But someone who uses larger words and seemingly-advance lingo may "sound" good, but we've all known people that talked the hype, but in the end were all talk and no action.) Some older directors can get away with some minor mistakes and a lax attitude because the crew trusts in the idea that "Hey this director's older and probably more experienced. They must surely know what they're doing.) I'm sure experienced talent and crew have had their fair share of lost or lazy young directors and might look at me as such. I mean, in your honest honest opinion, when you see a relatively young director going for a big project do you automatically think "he has the stuff" or look on with a bit of doubt? I'd like to have your opinion on that. And of course no personal offense would be taken :)

Paranoia vs Prepared:
However! Gathering the crew and talent happens slowly, so there's time to gradually adjust to each person as they sign. I guess when you know it's coming next year, you imagine yourself thrown on set, not having been accustomed to anyone. I guess I'm over worrying, but I'd rather be prepared.

Last edited:
Also be wary when using talent that is a friend or someone you know well. After shooting my first short with mostly friends they tend to get distracted or think of it as just having fun and the professionalism is lost.

Everybody respects the guy who can remain calm and polite when the s*!t hits the fan.

It helps to know the technical terms that the crew expects you to use, particularly the DP, since he'll be one of your main collaborators. Your cred' will suffer everybody hears you consistently misuse common film terms.

Know your actors and the language they expect you to use. Judith Weston's "Directing Actors", and the "Film Director's Intuition" are very helpful in this regard. I took her workshop a couple of years ago and it was excellent.

If you rehearse with the actors (see the books listed above) much of the development can be done in advance. You'll all show up on set well-prepared and with the trust of your actors. This will help you avoid questions and debates during the shoot.

I won't hold your youth against you if you won't hold my advanced age against me. ;)

Back