Anybody Use Mamet's "On Directing Film?"

Anyone use David Mamet's techniques in this book to shoot or direct (written 20 years ago)?

While I agree with his insistence in developing a shot list, other ideas seem deceptively simple. I've read it through a couple times, and get frustrated at his way of breaking down scenes, beats, and shots to their most elemental level. It's as though he morphed stage directing/acting methods and terms over to film directing.

Not sure how well it works, but want to try it on a short story I'm adapting. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?

I actually have this book... and I haven't read it. It was a christmas present. I feel bad now.

I've also got Rebel Without a Crew somewhere in my apartment, haven't read a page of it.

One of these days...

Kholi, read Mamet's book over the holidays and tell me what you think.

Also, Rodriguez's "Rebel..." is if nothing else a testament to Persistence. Wondering if El Mariachi would do as well in these times?...

Not sure how well it works, but want to try it on a short story I'm adapting. Has anyone tried it? Thoughts?
I wouldn't say I have followed his method exactly, but I do appreciate
it and I tend to do many of the things he does. I think you should try
it. As you direct more and more you will be able to try many different
methods - you might even find your own, personal method. That's why
I always suggest making a short film every months for a year or so.

Tony Barr's "Acting for Film" is good too.
Mamet's is awesome.

Read it all, everything you can get your hands on and build your toolbox from all of the little bits these books give you.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments, guys, I tend to agree with all of them. I haven't directed enough to develop my own style, but also believe it'll come along...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Back