• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch 2 Years Past

This is not a conventional movie, but an experimental one I have been wrapping my brains trying to categorize what section of the 'Screening Room' it should be placed in, as I could think of cases for most of them. But I ultimately decided on this 'Animation' section because, it is, after all a glorified sideshow.

As the name suggests this film is a series of images which have been captured over the past 2 years of my life, from all aspects and therefore personal to me (As a result, hopefully not just to be enjoyed by me). It includes hundreds of bursts of 4-sequence photographs - which where basically 4 photos taken within a second, all compiled together in a very speedy fashion to reference some sort of analogy about the speed in which life passes our very eyes, but that might be a bit too pretentious-sounding to get into now.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise I have the old version on YouTube, will upload the newest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq3QfuGWo3k​

Last edited:
Your obscenely large font hurt my eyes. I refuse to watch :no:

Also try saying hello before trying to sell us into watching your stuff.

this kind of concept appeals to me. so i watched it. but it wasnt wat i expected. most of the photos are taken together. it seems more like a few sequences put together than different photos over 2 years taken together.

but hey atleast ur doing something.

I have a critique but nowhere do you say that you wanted one so I'll save it unless you want it.

Do you want me to be brutally honest about it?

I have a critique but nowhere do you say that you wanted one so I'll save it unless you want it.

Do you want me to be brutally honest about it?

Haha, I think it's about his life even though I posted that I refuse to watch it, so if you say anything brutal wouldn't that be talking about his life as well as his short?

Yeah and I have a good critique for him that I think he'll learn a lot from but he's being a turtle right now.

ROC, since when does someone need to request feedback before we're allowed to give it? This is a filmmaking forum, is it not? Posting something in the screening room of a filmmaking forum is synonymous with saying "hey, please check out what I made, and let me know what you think of it."

So, please post your critique and help keep these conversations on the rails.

I thought i heard him say, "Let's hear it!"

PS

Give him a break, guys. His frist post n all. And he put himself out there with his vid.

I say it to everyone on here that before you try and get us to watch your stuff, you should at least say hello! I don't try and take a girl to bed before saying hello!

Members are more than welcome to post their work in the screening room. That's why it exists, whether or not they say "hello" first. You may comment on said work, or not, but please be careful not to derail the thread, which is about this member's work.

this film is a series of images which have been captured over the past 2 years of my life, from all aspects and therefore personal to me (As a result, hopefully not just to be enjoyed by me).

Honestly, I am not sharing your experience here. I have no connection to any of the imagery.

It's a POV, apparently, but what makes each of these image choices special to the audience?

ROC, since when does someone need to request feedback before we're allowed to give it? This is a filmmaking forum, is it not? Posting something in the screening room of a filmmaking forum is synonymous with saying "hey, please check out what I made, and let me know what you think of it."

So, please post your critique and help keep these conversations on the rails.

Ok you asked for it. Don't get mad if I hurt his feelings and he reports this.

Critique on picture movie of 2 years of your life.

- Have a purpose in mind. Tell a story.

Movies tell a story. Motion pictures show something to an audience, and this video didn't show one to my eye. It was extremely random and I couldn't follow any type of story line.

So ask yourself what you want to show your audience. If your purpose was to show me a bunch of random photos and call it a movie, then fine. I wasn't expecting that.

I could make the same thing in about 10 seconds using my iPhoto and scrolling through my photos.

Technically, many photos looked like the point and shoot 4.3 megapixel Sony digital camera.

The 4 rapid-shoot photos is a good idea but please keep the camera more steady. The camera moved quite erratically and I was pressed to turn the video off but I finished it nonetheless.

My personal opinion on this type of shooting is that a time-lapse style of shooting would be a better idea - but that's just me. Or show more change in what you are shooting because rapid-fire is cool and all, but it only covers about a second worth of time and you can't really see much within that timeframe. I wonder if there is a way to set it to be longer intervals of time between shots - that would be cool.

You show about 70% of the time shots from a car window. I'd try to get more human interaction in there to tell a story. Triumph, loss, heartache, winning, succeeding, etc.

Anyway... It's been about 5 hours since I saw it and I don't have time to watch it again but that's my 2 cents.

Good job for putting it out there.

I leave you with this to study and see how a story is told with literally only google searches. This is a good example of how to tell a story with very limited means - and you can apply this to your movie to see what you can do in this business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT33eak5I8o

Last edited:
Back