can someone help...dv decks...

Hey everyone. B&H has a low selection of DV decks and they're kind of pricey. Can someone point me in the direction of a cheap deck? Thanks.

Can you give any more details on how you'll be using it and with what kind of system? Are you just looking for something that can play standard DV format, or something better (DVCAM, DVCPRO, etc.). You'll probably find a lot of bad reviews of the sub-$1000 prosumer decks, because to be honest they just don't compare to the pro ones.

However, given that, I do use a JVC SR-VS30 on my home avid xpressdv system, and so far I've got no major complaints. It cost about $800. It can play back DV and DVCAM (mini cassettes only), it only records DV. It also has a VHS deck builit in. I think I wrote a big thread about it not too long ago, might still be in the forum if you search for it. But to be fair, I haven't tried to do any heavy lifting with it either, I mostly just watch tapes on it, do some logging. I've heard a lot complaints about people having trouble batch capturing, but so far I haven't had any problems the few times I've needed to.

i'd like one like that, but id like it to also be compatible with large dv cassettes, as i will be logging & capturing with mini dv, but if i have a feature length film, id like to send the final video to large dv. does jvc make a big brother model?

I'm sure they make something one step up, JVC's site shows the BR-DV3000U which takes full size cassettes. Sells for about $1,500 at BH. I don't know anyone who uses JVC decks. Seems like everyone I know buys the Sony DSR-11 (in the same price range) for a low-end deck. Advantage of the Sony deck is that it can record DVCAM. The JVC can only record regular DV.

Back