sales agent

hi all,

I needed to know the webistes of the sales agents who accept unsolicited submissions of completed movies.

I googled up to find MAGNEPIX, is there any other you'd recommend.

thanx,
ace.inc1

There's only about 5 or 10 sales agents world-wide who are WORTH dealing with - That's according to a book I read called "I Wake Up Screening". And that's IF you have a great film, which everybody thinks they do. The other thing to consider is whether or not you are just gonna piss away that 15 to 20% sales agent fee only to get your movie "distributed" online and through NetFlicks, which ANYONE can do on their own. There's 30,000 videos released every year and no way in hell they can all make it into any or all 800+ Best Buy stores. Just write down the titles of a few "just released" indie video titles on Amazon, then walk into your nearest Best Buy and see if you can find even one of them. That's the state of indie distribution. I sure wouldn't be so quick to give away 20%, plus attorney fees to review the contract, plus expenses, etc. There's also a conflict of interest: A sales agent doesn't earn their 20% until they find you distribution. Once they do then you're giving away another 25 - 30%. Times are a changing.

I must disagree with you. It is very simple - if a sales agent can generate above 20% (+fee) than you would on your own, then it obviously worth it. And this is usually the case. Especially for foreign distribution. Also don't forget that they take a way from you the time, energy and headaches it takes to market, sell, deliver and collections.
There are a lot more than 5-10 sales agent who are worth it. The number is probably closer to five times that much. Some good ones are based in London and Paris as well.
You need to be careful, though, before you give 'your baby' away. It is easy to make promises just to sign-up a film. When engaging with a sales agents, you should get referrals and talk with other producers who worked with them.

Back