What software is good for starting out?

I am looking to invest in a camera and software to begin my first film project. I am on a budget so what would be the best to start out with?

'sup, good jackyj :cool:

It will be hard to suggest a suitable camera without a ballpark figure of afore-mentioned budget.

If you toss out a rough $ to work with, there ought to be several suggestions.

:)

Panasonic makes a nifty 3-chip camera for just under $600. I forgot the model name... I'll look it up.

Have you tried using whatever editing software came with your computer? If you haven't played around with editing at all yet, that could be a good (if simple) way to start. Get the knack of the basics before plonking down money on pricier software.

$30 tripod for steadiness... a cheap (but good) shotgun microphone... $40 for a small Home Depot lighting kit...

Someone was talking about microphones yesterday, in a thread... had some good suggestions. I'll try & find that link, too.

That's just under $800 right there.

Do you have a PC or a Mac, btw?

Edit: Here's that 3-chipper. Panasonic PV-GS65

Last edited:
If I have the money do you think it would be a wise investment for the Panasonic AG-DVC7? If not is there something around that price range better? I am interested in getting a mac, and I was wondering if the iLife '05 was good enough software to start with?

Back