• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Editing: Dramatic scene at start of film.

Hi All,

I'm gonna try my best to describe what it is I'm attempting to do. I've seen it done but can't find 1 example online to help me out. I'm in post production for my feature and doing my own editing. I have a scene almost towards the end of the film where someone gets shot. This is such an intense scene, that I'd like to open the film with it. I've seen this before when movies open with a scene and then will show a 'Two Weeks Earlier' and go into what lead up to the the scene where someone gets shot.

So, my question is. If I play this scene at the beginning and then jump to 2 weeks prior to that scene, when it's time for the scene to happen in real time, do you repeat all of that scene again or just maybe the ending? Can anyone point me in the direction of a film that does this? Currently what I have is, the gunshot scene is the opening, after the gunshot, it fades to black and then the text 'Two Weeks Earlier' on black background plays. Toward the end of the film is actually when the scene really happens because it has not gotten to that point. I'm replaying that same scene and after that scene, continues with what happens after that person is shot. Would you really replay the entire scene or just segments of it?

I know that this is a lot and I'm probably not explaining very well but does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done smoothly? Thanks All!

Yeah, depends how long it is. You might think about cutting it a different way, using different coverage. Depends on the film and editing style and length of the scene etc.

Effects can help, like, show your scene, someone gets shot, they start falling to the ground... the screen pauses, it begins to rewind and quickly zips to the beginning where we see them alive and well in a scene. Narration (possibly) begins (or as you say, titles of the date). Now, the movie per normal. As that scene approaches again you play it exactly the same, unless something in your story was able to change destiny, otherwise you can cause confusion. But you'll want to play it the same, and then continue past the shooting scene. You may want to pause in the same spot again and add some narration (if you have chosen to) like "This is where we began..." or whatever. Unpause. Continue to end.

Just an example of how certain effects work and can help to add suspense/hold interest etc.

You guys are all freakin awesome! This is why I love this site. Thank you so much for the feedback. Talk about good stuff, I'm off and running again with this info and thanks for the links indietalk!

You might think about cutting it a different way, using different coverage.
This! +1+1+1+1+1+1

The only thing I can add is you may need to add a twist if you do play through it again.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a film that does this?
They're everywhere. It's called a fate storyline. It's possible, you may need to recut other parts of your film for this to work well.

Back