Anyone have any experience with The Film Collaborative or Distribber?

Hi. does anyone have any thoughts about the relative merits of The Film Collaborative vs. distribber vs. an aggregator like Gravitas ventures? Any insights would be appreciated. Also, any reports of any relevant experience with any of the three would be appreciated.

By the way, Rayw, I appreciate all the info you've provided in this forum. Thanks for the great data

Here's my email chain to Distribber:
On March 1, 2013 - I paid Distribber $1994 to have my film "Assisted Fishing" presented to iTunes (HD) and Hulu. I sent my film and all deliverables to Distribber on March 8, 2013 on a hard drive with the understanding that the files would be copied over and the hard drive would be returned and that it usually averages around 90 days to get a decision from iTunes.

I sent via fed-ex and waited about a week. I was at least expecting to receive some notification email that you had received it and everything was in order. That didn't happen, so I sent an email to Jason Brubaker asking him if Distribber had at least received the hard drive.
He responded and said "I will check on this and let you know if we did not receive."

I waited, but never heard anything else from Jason until April 3, when he sent an email saying he was leaving Distribber and Dylan Fergus would be taking over.

On April 3, I sent an email to Dylan asking for a status update on "Assisted Fishing"
Dylan responded "The film is in the mastering phase of QC at encoding house. I'll let you know when the film has been successfully uploaded. "

I figured this was good progress and waited.

On May 11 (over a month later), I still hadn't heard back from Dylan - he did say that he would let me know when it had been uploaded, so I was expecting some type of notification - so I asked for another status update.
He responded "Assisted fishing is in queue to be uploaded to iTunes. This means it has passed QC."

I figured this was some progress, so I waited… But I did wonder - what about Hulu? No mention of the status with Hulu.

On June 27, I sent an email to Dylan asking for another status update. It was now 110 days since I originally sent it in - The website says that 90 days is the average, but I had passed QC and was in the queue for a month and a half… It had to be uploaded to iTunes by now ( so I thought)

Dylan responded "Things are going slower than normal right now. I'll reach out to the encoding house and see what's going on."

I'm a reasonable man, I realize things can take time - So I waited - Dylan was going to let me know what's going on… I waited for his response for over 2 weeks.
On July 11, I sent another email "I'm still waiting to hear the status of "Assisted Fishing"

Dylan responded:
"I've requested that the encoding house put Assisted Fishing on the next batch of uploads to iTunes. They said the Artwork was out of spec. Can you email me a 1200x1600 version of the poster without a credit block or any urls."

WHAT? The next batch? It was in queue to be uploaded on May 11 - 2 months earlier. What's this about the artwork being out of spec? I sent what was originally required - and I understand that specs may change - but why didn't anyone notify me sooner? Would anyone have ever notified me had I not been asking for status updates?
Frankly, I found this to be very unprofessional. You guys need to be in touch with us film-makers better than this.

I sent the new poster artwork the same day at the requested dimensions…. and waited…. over a month…

on August 16, I sent Dylan another email:
"I realize you weren't at Distribber when I sent in my files on March 8, 2013 but has anyone else ever had to wait over 6 months? I'm about to take to all the forums and post what a rip-off Distribber is. The website said it takes an average of 90 days, its been twice that. If there was a problem with the artwork, why didn't someone say something immediately? The lack of communication about the status of my submission is very unprofessional. You guys owe me a hard drive back - plus my submission fee of $1994.
Please respond and let me know which of the scenarios is about to happen : that my film will be on iTunes and Hulu within the next few days - and my hard drive is on it way back to me
or I'll be receiveing my submission fee back - plus the hard drive by the end of next week.
I've been more than patient with you guys, and it's frustrating to wait so long with nothing to show for the money I spent."

Dylan responded: "Hello Joe,

I completely understand your frustrations. Unfortunately the iTunes spec that we receive from the encoding house has been changing and the only thing we can do is pass that information on to our filmmakers.
Just to confirm, you would like to cancel get your refund of $1,994 and your hard drive sent back to you?

Thanks,
Dylan"

For the record - There's never been any information about changing specs passed on to this film-maker. I did manage to get the note about the poster dimensions, but only after i repeatedly asked about the status of my film. Was this the hold-up for so long? I don't know, and frankly was starting to feel like Distribber was a scam. I sent Dylan this response on August 16.

Dylan,
Yes, please send me a refund.
Thank you.

I wanted to see my film on iTunes and Hulu - but in all my responses, I had never even heard a word about how things were proceeding with Hulu.

Dylan responded
"Will do.

Thanks,
Dylan"

OK -I thought, maybe they aren't a scam - at least I'll get my money back. SO i Waited…
3 weeks later on Sept 3rd - 6 months since I sent in my hard drive - I sent Dylan another email.
"Dylan,

I still haven't received my refund. Can you please have them expedite this? It's been almost 3 weeks.
Thank you"

Dylan responded:
"Hello Joe,

Sorry for the delay. It should go out at the beginning of next week. "

The beginning of that next week would have been Sept 9th.
That is now Last Week - no notification that the check and hard drive had been sent back to me - and I'm still waiting.

I appreciate the service you provide for indie film-makers - and its unfortunate that, for whatever reason, it didn't work for me. I was looking forward to seeing "Assisted Fishing" on iTunes. I don't understand the lack of communication concerning the progress on my film though. There was never been any notifications of the progress unless I sent an email asking about it. AM I just being too impatient? Is it common to wait so long? I don't know, because there is no communication from you guys…
I had been told that the film passed QC for iTunes on May 11. The only time any information was ever shared with me was after I had sent an email asking for an update. I appreciate that someone does at least respond to my emails - so I am hoping we can settle my account this week.

They eventually did send me a paypal payment for the $1994. I never saw the hard drive again.

-Joe

Joe - great post and crucial information. If a company gets too many posts like this, they're going to be out of business. I notice Distribber hasn't been accepting new films for a while. Maybe they have gone under.

JAN. 2014

Defendant Distribber No-Shows in Court, Judge Awards Suit to Plaintiff Charles Dewandeler, Director of ‘Parody Movie’

Hollywood, CA – On November 18, 2013 Director Charles Dewandeler filed a lawsuit against Distribber, after Distribber failed to place his film on iTunes or Hulu and would not refund his money or return his hard drive. On December 3, 2013, after Distribber received their court orders, they finally refunded Dewandeler’s $1,994, “but they never returned my Hard Drive,” said Dewandeler. At the scheduled hearing on January 14, 2014, the Judge ordered that Distribber pay Dewandeler $76.29 for the hard drive and $65 in court costs. Nobody from Distribber showed up in court.

In May of 2013, Dewandeler paid Distribber $1,994 to place ‘Parody Movie’ on iTunes and Hulu. Dewandeler was originally told by Dylan Fergus, Distribber’s Director of Operations that it would take approximately 60 days for the film to get placed on iTunes and Hulu. 150 days later Distribber still had not fulfilled their end of the contract. “Not only did Distribber fail to place the film on either iTunes or Hulu, I don’t think they ever submitted it,” said Dewandeler, “but that didn’t stop them from taking my money and holding onto it for over 6 months.”

When Dewandeler asked about the delays Fergus’ emails gave lame excuses. On 7.12.13 Fergus wrote, “The encoding house has been dropping the ball lately.” On 10.29.13, “We are currently in the mists of a transition.” After Dewandeler demanded a refund, Fergus said it would take “up to 30 days” for Distribber to pay the refund. But the refund never came. “When the 30 days expired, I had no choice but to file the suit,” said Dewandeler, “if I hadn’t I don’t think Distribber would have ever refunded my money.”

I understand Indiegogo owns Distribber which makes me leery now of using Indiegogo. Basically Distribber sounds like a company going down the tubes. I wish iTunes would adopt the Amazon model.

Back