DCP in Canada and USA - Video Fps 24 or 25?

I work for a filmmaker who was very active in the 1980s, so he is not so familiar with current technical standards, especially outside of Europe.

Before he orders the DCP for exhibition, he asks me whether he should have the video made in Fps (frames per second) 25 or 24. He says it is an important technical detail. Rather than my calling every festival we have entered, perhaps someone here knows. I speak of USA and Canada, unless the standard is the same in Asia and Australia as well.

Last edited:
Before he orders the DCP for exhibition, he asks me whether he should have the video made in Fps (frames per second) 25 or 24. He says it is an important technical detail.

There are two worldwide DCP specifications; the older DCI specs and the newer SMPTE. The DCI specs only support 24fps, while the SMPTE specs support a range of frame rates, including both 24fps and 25fps. Generally though, 25fps is used only for SD TV broadcast in Europe (and other PAL and SECAM countries), so it would be best to stick to 24fps. Please note that both the DCI and SMPTE specs require a minimum 3.0 sound mix.

G

I just learned moments ago that the video was shot in 8050i (interlaced) HD, 25fps

DCP will be the current world market SMPTE-Standard. It will be made in USA and 24fps / 5.1. surround sound. European language subtitles can be turned on or off. It will be 4% longer due to slowing down.

I just learned moments ago that the video was shot in 8050i (interlaced) HD, 25fps.

That's going to be a little tricky. Once your video is converted to 24fps, all your production sound will drift over time (by 4%) and may also have to be re-conformed. Both of these issues can be solved but will take more time/knowledge (and therefore cost more) to deal with competently. To be honest, this is not a "current technical standards" issue, it's always been the case, even back in the 1980's.

G

Back