Festival Thoughts

Hello all, New to the forum here.

I'm putting together an independent film festival to be held towards the end of this year. The event will be announced in a few weeks. This is NOT an advertisement, this is more of a "what do you look for in film festivals?"

This is the first year I'm holding this event and I hope to grow it over the next few years. Keeping in mind that I have to deal with budgetary constraints, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on what I can do to make it more attractive to film makers.

What do you look for when choosing a festival? Submission fees? Location? Size of the event? Activities? etc?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I thank you for any thoughts you are willing to share.

TZ

The best successful example that I've seen of what you're describing is the Woods Hole Film Festival in Cape Cod, MA (although by the time I went there it had been around for 20 years so I'm sure they had plenty of growing pains).

They did not have famous people, but they did have filmmaker breakfasts and other events/parties that were great for networking. I'm still in touch with a number of filmmakers that I met there.

I second this. I've attended Woods Hole several times. As and actor, as a filmmaker and a few times as just an audience member.

In fact, I met Mara Leseman and her director Laura Thies there at a filmmaker brunch!

Another thing I will point out about Woods Hole - They make your film look pretty darned good. I have had my films screen in all the different venues and they looked and sounded superb. I actually can't say that about a lot of festivals I have been to, including some pretty well-known ones.

With regard to your festival, you mention you are in a tourist town. An important question: Is this an expensive tourist town? The reason I ask is that a filmmaker will need to take into account the cost of coming and staying at the festival. Since you are so new, I am assuming you won't be able to afford housing the filmmakers. This is something to keep in mind. I really like festivals who send out very detailed tips and suggestions about where to stay, discounts, etc.

Communication is key. There are some festivals that send an email that says, "Congratulations, you have been selected." But then, they literally never send you another communication without you bugging them for more information.

Keep sending out regular updates to your selected filmmakers. Let them know exactly what to expect when they get there. Who do they check in with and where? If they have any problems who do they contact? How many comps do they get to their screening? What does their Filmmaker badge entitle them to as far as special events and screenings? Do you want them to be on a panel?

Let them know all these things way in advance.

Lastly, the best thing to ensure your success is to cultivate a great volunteer squad. This is the most important thing you can do. Even the larger premiere festivals I've attended - IFFBoston, Sundance, Tribeca, Nantucket etc. rely on an army of volunteers.

Make it fun and worth their while. Many festivals, especially in their early stages, give volunteers free access to the films if they complete a certain number of volunteer hours. The way IFFBoston works: If you do two volunteer shift of 5 or so hours each,you can then attend any movie at the festival for free. Volunteers show up at least one hour before the scheduled time of the film they want to see. If there are tickets still available, they are given a ticket. If the screening is sold out, they have to wait in the standby line, but they are the first to get tickets if there are standby tickets available. Volunteers are also given access to certain parties and special events.

One more note: And this is just a pet peeve of mine, please, others chime in if you have had the same experience.

Nothing gets me off on a grumpier note with a festival than arriving there and looking around the main box office area or the venue areas and not seeing posters or postcards placed around the area for any films after you had us filmmakers spend shipping costs to get those materials to you a month before the festival started.

@indyjones, I agree with the awards concept. Being of a limited budget and new, my hope is to create attractive award packages. Once everything (production wise) is set, I will contact companies that I have worked with in the past to see if they would help with the prizes. Prizes such as a new camera (T5i), sticks, or as basic as gift certificates for rental packages. Anything that I can gear towards helping these artists create more. If the money is available I will even purchase them myself if that is what it takes. In addition, I will have a few "supporting" awards; Best Acting, directing, editing and so forth. But those would more than likely only be rewarded with a trophy.

@ahennessey, yes this town can be expensive if you want to stay downtown. Outside of town, it gets a little cheaper but then you would have to arrange transportation. I would love to be able to rent a house that the selected film makers could stay in, but unfortunately that is not a possibility for this year (short of a miracle). And I wholeheartedly agree with using the promo material that is sent in. I know first hand how expensive print can be, especially when you know that most people are just throwing them away. "Here, you throw this away." That was the running gag back in my street team days.

But there will be a document that I will send to all the selected film makers. The information will also be on the web site. If I'm lucky I can get some of the area hotels to work out a discounted rate. That will be difficult since corporate hotels have taken over.

--another issue I'm running into, is the amount of films I can accept and play. I know this is an issue when selecting festivals and I'm concerned that would deter people from submitting. For example, if only two features will be screened the number of feature submissions would drop. I simply can't have five different venues. To do this would dramatically increase my cost as well as the festival admission price, not to mention submission fees. Too big too fast.

So I'm basically walking a fine line at the moment. Have enough to make it successful (break even) but at the same time not letting my eyes get bigger than my stomach.

Again, thank you all for your comments. They are all most helpful. And I've gotta say there are some solid points and ideas here. I hope anybody planning their own festival finds this thread and actually reads it.

Prizes and trophies are nice, but not necessary. At least not the first few years. At least in my opinion, those things matter less than a win and earning the right to put a "winner" laurel on my film poster.

Again, thank you all for your comments. They are all most helpful. And I've gotta say there are some solid points and ideas here. I hope anybody planning their own festival finds this thread and actually reads it.
I'm getting as much out of this as you. I'm enjoying hearing fellow
filmmakers thoughts. So different than mine.

I don't care about awards or prizes. Getting that “Winner” laurel
doesn't mean anything to me – especially from a new festival or
one that gives out dozens of them. I want people to see my movie.

Nothing gets me off on a grumpier note with a festival than arriving there and looking around the main box office area or the venue areas and not seeing posters or postcards placed around the area for any films after you had us filmmakers spend shipping costs to get those materials to you a month before the festival started.
Yep. This is my primary issue with film festivals. I don't want to
have to arrive a few days early to promote (at my expense) my
movie. When I go I want to enjoy the festival. Too many don't
do enough promotion, expecting the filmmaker to do that for them.

Do you think a laurel from a first year festival (unknown) would cut it on it's own?

*Granted, the name of the town is an internationally known city and the city name is a part of the festival name.

@directorik, Of all the things I've heard, and not just from this forum, is as you put it, "butts in seats." Which is actually why I want a good prize package(s). So if in the worst case, no one showing up, the film maker at least gets something out of it. Something that they can at least take home. Poor word choice, but a "consolation" prize if no one sees your film. Or a bonus if they do see it.

But on the same token, if I can't get people to attend the festival then I might as well hold it online.

On the other side however, it might not be a bad idea to market it as a regional festival and take it down to baby steps. This is something that I would love to see grow and become an actual well-known event.

If I focus more on this region (marketing), the submission field will more than likely drop but in theory I would have a higher attendance. The reasoning is that the cost of travel would also drop and it would bring a bigger "fan" base for the film maker. Since there is a good chance that their friends/family would be in attendance.

Submissions would still of course be open to any location and no favoritism would be shown. If someone in LA wants to submit, by all means submit. But the majority of marketing would be in the south east and possibly the eastern seaboard.

The problem is that fewer people would know about it, therefore, less recognition and less "clout."

....thoughts in the wind

Last edited:
Do you think a laurel from a first year festival (unknown) would cut it on it's own?

*Granted, the name of the town is an internationally known city and the city name is a part of the festival name.
It's nice to have, I suppose. But it's meaningless.

Why does a filmmaker need them to put on a poster? To get people
interested in seeing the movie. Same as having a name actor. Winner
of an award at one of the top ten will make a difference. Winner of a
top award at a well known festival might interest some people. Just
getting accepted in one of the top twenty is helpful. "Best Supporting
Actor", "Best Sound" at a first time festival that showed ten movies
total and gave out twenty awards is meaningless. Even in a well known
city.

And where it could mean money (distributors) it's even less meaningful.
They do their homework. So it might feel good to put the laurels on your
poster and trailer, it doesn't help. It doesn't hurt. And for some filmmakers
it's important.
@directorik, Of all the things I've heard, and not just from this forum, is as you put it, "butts in seats." Which is actually why I want a good prize package(s). So if in the worst case, no one showing up, the film maker at least gets something out of it.
Which is why I'm getting as much out of this as you are. As a filmmaker
I don't need a prize. Not why I make movies. I want people to see my
movie. But other filmmakers do.

Last edited:
Which is why I'm getting as much out of this as you are. As a filmmaker
I don't need a prize. Not why I make movies. I want people to see my
movie.

I agree. I don't feel that a laurel from a new event would hold much value in regards to distribution or any other types of sales/deals. But I do feel that the film makers that don't have recognition could benefit from winning an award.

If I break it down, this event will not draw a massive crowd. At BEST, 500-700 people (speaking for the first year). With that in mind, film makers that submit to festivals on the level of Toronto or Berlin would probably not submit to my event (I could be and hope I am wrong). So the ones that would, might not have any awards or recognition attached to them or their film.

My first award/recognition was in high school. At the time I thought that was great. Looking back on it, that recognition did nothing for me in relation to finding work. But it was a confidence boost, and one that kept me going. The word "no" is something that we all hear on a regular basis, and any bit of hope could be just enough to keep someone going.

That is what I want this event to be about, the indie artist. The ones with the talent but not the avenue. If I could play a part in providing a stepping stone, no matter how big or small, I would consider this event to be a success. Regardless of how much money I end up losing.

Don't know how much money and time you have, but you might want to volunteer at one of the more successful festivals to see what they do. You could choose ones that aren't that far away. Still might have to find lodging.

I've only been to two festivals, both because I had a starring role in a documentary and wanted to help support the film

One I flew out to cinevegas, which was awesome. Full theatre, Q&A with the audience afterwards. And I got to go to a party with britney spears and dennis hopper and some other celebs that night. Got my picture in la times magazine or something. I think thats what it was called.

Other festival I drove myself from MD to NYC for the New York United Film Festival. It was very disappointing how empty the theatre was when I showed up, so I can relate to that feeling. fortunately it did get about half full by the time the show started. Another Q&A afterwards which was fun once again.

For me these days.. a festival would really help if they had a hotel or something in walking distance and a policy where I can come and go as I please. Any festival with "no-readmittance" would not get my business.

Wow, didn't this thread blow up?

@sweetie, in all honesty my goal for the festival is to provide another outlet for film makers. In this area there isn't much to offer for the independent film maker. I really just want to create a stage to show films that other wise would not be seen (short of their families).

An outlet to whom? With the exception of the tier 1 and maybe a few tier 2 festivals, as it's been mentioned, most film festivals are just film makers watching film makers films. It's can be good to network with other film makers of similar standings, but that's about it. You're not going to get noticed at these kinds of events. If that's the kind of event you're looking to build, that's fine too. Just acknowledge what it is and don't aim to do what you cannot.

Anyway more further on....

I guess showing really good movies

You mean like Cannes, Sundance and/or the genre fests. There is a tactic that I understand a lot of film festivals do: Watch the films that get accepted to the big tier 1 and 2 festivals. Approach those film makers to show their films at your festival. You may need to make a deal with them (revenue split, sponsor travel, accommodation etc) or alternatively I've seen some film festivals go a little retro and show some old, cool/popular movies. Whatever you choose for your hook to get people in the door, depending on what strategy you wish to choose.

- what is the festival's purpose?
- how can you make sure the target audience will attend it?

This is key. Worthy of repetition.

Who knows? It seems to work for Cannes and Sundance. I hear they're fairly popular... right?

It's the same for film makers as festival runners. You need to know the people you want to attract. Both film makers and everyone else. Cannes and Sundance are the go to film festivals due to a few factors: A). Film buyers go to these festivals. B). There is a lot of publicity that can come for films that are accepted to these festivals. C). Performing well at these festivals can lead to a half decent distribution deal. D). Networking with the Crème de la crème.

There are other reasons too, but I hope you get the point. What benefit those festivals offer film makers attracts film makers that want what those festivals have to offer. You need to think about what kind of film makers you want to attract and then think about what is important to those film makers. Your offering will be stronger if they cannot find it elsewhere.

Which is actually why I want a good prize package(s).

Can you afford a really good prize package that will attract the film makers you want to attract?

if I can't get people to attend the festival then I might as well hold it online.

I've heard of a festival or two online. I don't hunt them out. I'd assume there'd be more. It's not a horrible idea, though it makes it really difficult for the film maker to network.

If I break it down, this event will not draw a massive crowd. At BEST, 500-700 people (speaking for the first year). With that in mind, film makers that submit to festivals on the level of Toronto or Berlin would probably not submit to my event (I could be and hope I am wrong). So the ones that would, might not have any awards or recognition attached to them or their film.

The issue you're going to have is the chicken or the egg dilemma. This is doubly the case since there are hundreds if not thousands of film festival that are already established. If you're going to be a "me too" festival, you still need to find your competitive advantage. There is nothing wrong with establishing a local film festival if one hasn't already been established. Aiming for a niche and do it better than everyone else can also be a viable strategy.

As you can see, film makers are after a wide variety of benefits. They can range from public recognition, prizes, earning revenue for the film (revenue split), peer approval, building an audience, networking opportunities, buzz building all the way to wanting distribution offers from good performance.

Back