Film Festival Standard resolution? DCP or FULL HD - 2048x1152 or 1920x1080??

Hi guys,

I am shooting a project in 2400x1350 so can downscale to either 2048x1152 which is the DCP standard or 1920x1080 Full HD. I am asking what is the standard (or most common for that matter) regarding film festival screenings? My project is a short film by the way, not a full feature, but my guess is that shouldn't matter.

Now the reason I am asking this is because I saw a blog post by Knut Erik Evensen entitled "How I converted all the short films at a film festival that were not DCPs to DCPs" - (sorry can't provide direct link)

I want to make all the right steps, so:.

- Case 1: I make it 2048x1152 if that is the more common out of the two but risk playback recognition/lag at the festivals that rely on Full HD playback devices.
- Case 2: I make it 1920x1080 but risk rejection from all/some festivals that have a 2048x1152 standard.
- Case 3: I output both versions and e-mail each and every festival and submit accordingly.

The festivals I looked at don't really specify this in the submission requirements/indications, would it be that it's not important for most of them?

Thanks sweetie fro the reply.
Does anybody know whether DCP is common though? I won't go into much detail, but I will say it will affect how I shoot a certain scene where I need to crop out of 2400x1350 rather than downscale.

Only a few festivals, such as Raindance request DCP. As far as I am aware each festival usually states the maximum resolution in this format (for example, Raindance is 4k.

Which I assume means 4k is not a requirement?

On the Raindance website it says they take DCP, they also require a second DVD in BluRay as backup but they by no means state your film shout be 4k.
It merely says "Our partner cinema uses pin sharp Sony 4K Digital Cinema projection, making DCP screenings look incredible."

The festivals I looked at don't really specify this in the submission requirements/indications, would it be that it's not important for most of them?

I know of no festivals which require or even accept DCP for submission!

Once accepted for screening, some festivals will then require an exhibition copy, that is when you may need a DCP. There are two types (standards) of DCP, the DCI and the newer SMPTE standard. A SMPTE DCP allows a variety of resolutions and frame rates, both video (HDTV for example) and Film. A DCI DCP supports only 2k and 4k film resolutions and only the film frame rate of 24fps, both DCI and SMPTE DCPs require a minimum 3 channels of audio.

As Sweetie suggested, you will need to contact the individual festival to find out which format of DCP they will require.

G

Looking at your record on here I'll take your word for it AudioPostExpert about the unlikeliness of DCP requirements. That's exactly the answer I was looking for so thanks a million. And thanks for the insight on format details. I barely started researching festivals, but I needed to know this to know which ways I should tackle my production so thanks guys.

Last edited:
Back