Looking for research material

:blush: OK. I know that I'm always banging on about not buying kit and shooting on High Def rather than film, however I've been offered first refusal on, what I'm told is, a good 16mm camera. I'm not even sure exactly what yet. All I know is that it's got a good selection of high quality primes with it.

Can you guys point me in the direction of good information about 16mm cameras, so that I can get my head down and do some research. Either books or websites.

Once I've got specific information on the camera, I'll be back.

Oh and before anyone asks, no I'm still shooting my next two features on High Def, the film camera is to teach myself film ligthing and cinematography.

Clive,

Welcome to FILM WORLD buddy! :lol: I've been doing some research on 16mm cameras and stuff as well. I havn't shot 16mm yet, but I have Super8. Film is nother another than then DV or HD.

Here is a GREAT book to read...The 16mm Camera Book

Kodak has a small page about different cameras and info that can be found here.

By the way, what type of camera is it? Arri? when you know just post. :) There are more detailed books and sites about the cams themselves. The links above are just for all cams in general.

I had a former instructor who worked with Ed Pincus, he started the film section at MIT. Two books of his which I think are classics 'Filmmakers Handbook' and 'Guide to Filmmaking ' would be worth considering. Also, his 'American' style verite, 1-2 person crew influenced alot of folks here. FYI-former instructor also told us of a unique ability Mr. Pincus had-he could move his eyes independently, one eye through the viewfinder, one on any impending 'action'. He never missed a shot! :lol:

The American Cinematpgrapher's Manual.

I think the ninth edition is the latest and greatest, but if you're getting an older 16mm camera you can probably get an older edition of the manual (and the older ones will be much cheaper.) I have a fourth edition and I still use it.

Not only does it give detailed information about film cameras, it also tells you everything you could want to know about exposure and filters and Cinematography in general. Sometimes it's like reading Greek, but I think it's a reference book every filmmaker should have in their library.

bird: that's a hell of a talent! I can move my eyes independantly too, but my brain doesn't split it into two images that I can understand, it just ends up looking like a distorted mess (and it gives people watching the creeps)

Recommended sites...

clive said:
:blush: OK. I know that I'm always banging on about not buying kit and shooting on High Def rather than film, however I've been offered first refusal on, what I'm told is, a good 16mm camera. I'm not even sure exactly what yet. All I know is that it's got a good selection of high quality primes with it.

Can you guys point me in the direction of good information about 16mm cameras, so that I can get my head down and do some research. Either books or websites.

Once I've got specific information on the camera, I'll be back.

Oh and before anyone asks, no I'm still shooting my next two features on High Def, the film camera is to teach myself film ligthing and cinematography.

Here's a couple of decent sites with forums...

http://www.cinematography.net

http://www.cinematography.com

Both have quite a few professional cinematographers that frequent the forums... They're pretty good at answering questions...

filmy

Back