Super 8 Tips needed...

Hi all,

I'm planning on shooting a short in Super 8 film soon. I have an old camera that I've never used, and I am looking for some tech tips.

1. What frame rate should I shoot? I was assuming 24fps, but the camera manual says 18fps is normal speed? Does it matter if I'm going to tranfer to DV anyway? I figured 24fps is best.

2. What are my transfer options for DV? I'd like to transfer to DV (or DVCAM or DVC-PRO) for editing? What are my options? What will look best? How does that affect my shooting frame rate? How does that pull down thing work? Should I do some tests?

3. Audio.. I was thinking I'd just record the audio on a miniDV cam or Dat tape and sync in post? Any pitfalls to watch out for? Any tips for getting good sync?

4. Does anyone know someplace near Philly or NYC that I can get my camera cleaned and checked out?

5. Any recommendations on Super 8 short fests? I'm planning on sending it to Flicker when done.

Thanks!
ahab

1. If you can shoot 24Fps, then do it, but a lot of cameras only do 18fps...

2. You can get a true telecine done at several location (my personal recommendation, used several times, and the best price by far - www.thetransferstation.com ask for DOUG). It's expensive, but worth every penny. $150 an hour, but it's a true Rank transfer at the highest possible resolutions & quality.

3. I use Mini DV and Dat to synch audio, but it will drift unless you have a crystal synch camera (very rare in Super 8). I advise shorter takes...

4. no idea

5. There are a lot of FCLIKER's in the U.S> and abroad.

many links & stuff here
http://www.sonnyboo.com/super8.htm

Back