• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

16mm camera needed....

Hi everyone, I am trying to find a 60's style 16mm camera to use as a prop in a short film. It doesn't even need to work, just look in fairly good shape from a distance. I've been monitoring eBay for a few weeks hoping to find a cheap one, but all I see are nice working models selling for more than I can afford to spend. So, I thought I'd hit the forums here and see if any of you filmmakers have such a camera that you would be willing to sell for cheap (or free... I had to ask :D )

Feel free to PM me if you think you can help me out. Thanks!

Here's a couple of pics of the style of camera I am looking for:

resolutions.jpg

womenonhorses7.jpg

Last edited:
Well the B&H Filmo you show will not sell cheap because they have a three lens turret. I have an older Filmo model which has a single lens mount I would be willing to sell. It even has the big winding key. If interested I can take some pictures to put online.

I have a Keystone with a long lens and regular lens and a case. It is functioning, although I haven't yet tested it with film. I was planning to use it for HFD! but we only ended up needing my K3.

It looks somewhat like this, but theres a larger lens on it:

Keystone_A7s.jpg

$20 plus shipping if you want it.

I found a picture of a Filmo similar to mine:

http://www.ritzcam.com/catalog/images/Filmo7.JPG

Ritzcam sells this one for $20 even though it's not functional. At least mine is. This Filmo was made in the 1930's and was a forerunner to the more common Filmos used during WW2.

The 1960's version of the Filmo is the model 240. Here is a picture of a three lens model in collection. I don't want to sell it though. The single lens models do show up on eBAy at times.

Attachments

• bh240a9lz.jpg
    bh240a9lz.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 87
  • bh240b9sb.jpg
    bh240b9sb.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 86
Herb Montes said:
The 1960's version of the Filmo is the model 240. Here is a picture of a three lens model in collection. I don't want to sell it though. The single lens models do show up on eBAy at times.

I got the 240 with a single lens. It's a great camera. I heard they made it with 3 lens but have never seen a pic of it. Cool lookin' cam you got there Herb! :D

I also have a single lens and twin lens 240 so I have a complete set. The first 16mm camera I ever owned was a single lens 240. I shot my first animation with it a long time ago until I traded it in for a Bolex.

I might also suggest a Kodak K100 to Robert like this one:

Attachments

• k100e7te.jpg
    k100e7te.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 91
The K100 is great for a prop but practically useless to use, as the magazines are hard to find and its much easier to just buy a camera that takes spools.

I see, you're right. My friend has a couple of these older cameras that take 50' cartridges or magazines that look very similar, and I would not recommend those.

I've seen the Kodak magazine cameras. I've heard they're of poor quality. Most prefer the Bell & Howell models. You can still find magazines for these cameras but they only hold 50 feet of 16mm film and you have to use double perf stock. They are good for crash cameras or places to put a camera in others can't fit. Still plentiful on eBay.

Robert, you might want to look around flea markets or garage sales. Old home movie cameras will show up cheap. I have even found them at pawn shops and Goodwill stores.

He needs a prop, not a quality working camera.

Thanks for responding everyone.

Herb, I would be interested in seeing a pic and a price if you have one. Feel free to PM me about it. Just FYI, I'm just looking to use it as a prop, so if yours is a nice, working camera, than you'll probably want more than I am willing to pay.

I agree that flea markets might yeild some results... there are plenty here in Los Angeles. I will probably have to start snooping around (off the net).

Wideshot, thanks for your offer. Unfortunately, your camera is not the kind I am hoping to find. It's a little too dated looking.

The K100 looks pretty cool. If anyone knows where to find a cheap one, let me know!

The K100 is not cheap since it is a sought after camera like the Filmo. They're considered the step-child of the venerable Kodak Cine Special. I paid $100 for mine though I've seen them go for less on eBay. So it would be difficult to find one for a prop.

To get an idea of what to look for Robert there are some good pictures on this site.

http://www.agassiztrading.com/cameras-film/cameras/movie-camera-page.html

If you're like me you always keep an eye out for old film equipment. I used to haunt pawn shops but now I limit my searching to flea markets and collectable camera shows. At the last one I went to a few months ago I met a dealer who had over a dozen of those Filmos.

Back