Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Newbies

Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 PM   #1
c0t0paxi
Basic Member

Computer Specs for 4k editing

Hello!

I want to get into video editing (Adobe Premiere CC) and am only doing this as a hobby, so I don't need top tier spec/equipment. I plan to make drone videos (DJI Mavic Pro & DJI Osmo gimbal) in 4k resolution and want to post them on youtube. I am a complete newbie when it comes to computers, but would like to build my own PC; my price cutoff is $2000 for a customer built desktop + good ~20" monitor (again, I'm only a hobbyist so I don't need the best or a 4k monitor)

1) Where do I even start when it comes to building my own computer? Is it pretty easy for anyone to build one?
2) What specs/parts do I need to run Adobe Premiere & edit 4k footage?
3) What's a good monitor thats around 20" that provides me sharp & accurate colors (doesn't have to be 4k resolution)?

Thanks!!
c0t0paxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 05-18-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Diabeatz
Basic Member

Computer specs for editing response.

Hello! Glad to see you are trying to build a pc.

1) Where do I even start when it comes to building my own computer? Is it pretty easy for anyone to build one?

There are several people who build pc's online. The way I learned is watching this guy. https://www.youtube.com/user/CareyHolzman

He genuinely knows what he is doing in my opinion and does the job right.

2) What specs/parts do I need to run Adobe Premiere & edit 4k footage?

This could get confusing. Having a good CPU and GPU is important. There are a lot of arguments which is more important for your specific software. I Run an i7-6700k and a 980TI Nvidia GPU and I can edit Pro-Res footage so smoothly with little to basically no lag in the software. My best advice is trying to go for at least a quad-core cpu if you are a hobbyist and a decent GPU for fast render times etc. etc. More editing programs are adopting gpu acceleration so it could potentially be better for you.

3) What's a good monitor thats around 20" that provides me sharp & accurate colors (doesn't have to be 4k resolution)?

I would recommend getting something with at least an IPS panel and 24" (I use a 27 inch ASUS IPS monitor and it does the trick after playing with the settings) Don't get a tn panel or something like that.

Please feel free to answer back I'm willing to clarify more if necessary.
Diabeatz is offline   Reply With Quote