• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mirror Replacement Effect?

Hey, I have an idea for a short film that requires a mirror reflection to move independently from the actor. (Whole film idea here.) But the problem is that I'm not so sure how I would pull off the effect. I would cover the mirror with a green screen, stick a camera in the middle of the mirror, and then shoot the scene, but I'm afraid that I would have to instead cut out the mirror spot, and put the camera way far back to get the whole image that the real mirror would produce. So how do you guys think I should do it?

Shoot the same scene twice from each angle needed (once for the 'real' actor, and once for the reflection), then just layer up and mask around the mirror.

Not sure if that helps? That's how I'd approach it anyway, though I don't really do a lot of film work, so you might wanna wait until some more people chime in. :P

Edit: Sorry, just re-read what I wrote and can be done but AD's right.

1. Film the actor in the mirror
2. Re-film the scene with the actor looking in the mirror and replace in post. Use a mask and tracking function.

Last edited:
Replace the mirror glass with green.
Shoot the actor looking into the mirror.
Shoot the footage to go inside the mirror.

Key out the green and put in the second footage. Put a bit of texture and reflection in VFX and voila.

Back