• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using a long lens on a steadicam/gimbal?

The shots I need to get require me to zoom in a lot on my BMPCC while using a stabilizer. Most of them are tracking shots. Im finding it hard to keep it smooth and precise. One shot has me tracking a guy walking, and then he stumbles upon an object which comes up in the foreground, but the foreground object usually comes in so suddenly that it's hard for me to get a nice clean shot. How do you get nice long lens shots while tracking?

You can try, try and try again. And if it's taking too many takes, then track your dude, and do a close up of whatever it is he is stumbling over, then cut back to your tracking shot.

I'm assuming this is what you're asking about.

trying to juxtapose close up objects in the same shot as objects further away is going to be extremely difficult unless you have a wider lens. otherwise i would just figure out a way around it. you could even end up with something using multiple angles that's better/more effective than a single tracking shot. if it is too difficult, ask yourself if the steadicam is really essential to the visual storytelling.

Back