• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch So I directed my first two films ever...Here it is

So these were done in my class at college in an intro film course. Never touched a camera or lighting or anything before this class. I only really watched movies before taking this class.

I need opinions please!

These are both under 3 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiSwDenF-PY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0dMQ2pvt1I

Last edited:
The second one was very well made. I thought some of the dialogue was a little corny, but we, including me, all have that problem when we first start out. I also didn't get why the dark skinned hitman, kept the gun on the other hitman for so long and let him raise his hands close to the gun, when he was suppose to kill him. But hey, I guess that's not a big deal. I do like the cinematography a lot, and your choice of actors, have good screen presence, and a good look for their roles.

The first one was shot as well too. I guess since it was shot from all one angle, there wasn't room for much depth of field or anything like that, so everything is sharper, compared to the other film. I thought the fight scene was kind of fake looking though, but that's okay, since you're just starting out. It's also difficult to shoot a realistic fight all from one angle in one take too. I like the music in this one.

Last edited:
Pretty cool one shot... and was the second an in camera edited piece? I saw flashes at the end of clips, which is normally indicative of stopping a film camera and starting it again. Super 8 film?

The shot and the soundtrack of the first one made it really compelling, even though I normally find pieces like that kind of "Meh."

The second was more convincing because you actually had actors of the right age for the parts who didn't seem like they were just fellow students doing a solid for a classmate.

Good use of depth of frame in both pieces :)

Pretty cool one shot... and was the second an in camera edited piece? I saw flashes at the end of clips, which is normally indicative of stopping a film camera and starting it again. Super 8 film?

The shot and the soundtrack of the first one made it really compelling, even though I normally find pieces like that kind of "Meh."

The second was more convincing because you actually had actors of the right age for the parts who didn't seem like they were just fellow students doing a solid for a classmate.

Good use of depth of frame in both pieces :)

I shot both on 16mm for my class. Yes, the first one was all one take. I decided to shoot it all in one take for some reason.

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it!

I dont know if I have legit talent or not, hence why I am posting it on forums to find out

How many takes did you have to do for the all in one take one?

We had it all it down in the first one, but since it was 16mm it cut right at 2 minutes and 14 seconds, when I planned for 2 minutes and 30 seconds.

So the second time I planned for 2 minutes flat and we got it. So basically 2 times, when it should have only been 1.

really liked the cinematography in Chamber - premise/story was a bit generic but it did look nice and held my attention so a very good start I would say! Only thing that really jarred was the note - would hitmen really communicate via very large print handwritten notes?

Part 1
(Part 1)
If you are going to use aged film in after effects , I like the background music

but you turned the frequency down of the lines in the aged film plugin

looks strange

like the background music but

(Part 2)

The African american actor can act his sensiblity is brilliant bald head dark guy

His acting is brilliant, could easily see him in a film

the guy sitting eating noodles not sure of the acting,

but the camera work was great

my stand out all round was the bald african american actor

Brilliant

Loved his sensiblity

should be put in a movie strait away

very impressive acting

If i was you with this talent of this guy , i would get a script of a gangster movie
guns a blasin, have him the king pin.

with also a white guy that is like some cop detecitve type of movie
would be a hit.

When I watched him , he would easily fit into a movie like mission impossible

you have talent at your hands there IMO

I'm good with movies this guy has that thing in terms of a black guy in movies

make a gangster movie

he's very impressive

So this is a scenrio i see to use this actor we will call him "Sharone"

EXT. Basketball court detroit

He is sitting on the stands watching his crew playing basketball, (he is a sit back kind of guy)
gets a phone call from his sister (jessica) that someone is just hit his black sister (simon)

INT. house in the bronx - sister house

We see him walk in burst threw the door with a large oveweight sidekick buddy and a skinny black buddy with a bandena

we see his sister shock as he bursts threw the door as she slides back with her hands

he looks over see his sister boyfriend is a blond headed surfy guy (simon) sniffin coke off the table

blonde headed boyfriend

he rocks up his sister has a bland face look

the blonde guy (simon )looks up in distress

Simon
Oh shit

simon
(to sharone)
you whats happenin man

Sharone gets cranky kicks the table.. but there is some bruise on her lip

Sharone kicks around the place

Sharon
Ill tell you whats happenin

He kicks the table away

then kicks the table the blond guy (simon) was snortin from

Sharone
I'll tell you whats happenin

we see him in all black and leather jacket, swing two guns from his back

He kicks simon down and lifts two guns and point them to his face

Sharones sister
dont hurt him

sharone
I'll hurt this muther fucker

he presses on his face

Sharone
You know who i am

blonde guy
no man who are you

Sharone
this is my fuckin sister

he presses on his neck again

Sharone
well you'll know who i'm fuckin am i run this town

Blonde guy
Okay yer you run this

Sharone presses harder on his neck

Blonde guy (simon)
(gapin from the pressure)
run this town

Sharone lifts his leg of in dissapointment of who his sister seing

Sharone
(dissapointed)
are you fuckin kiddin me

he walks over to jessica his sister

he is holdin his hand by his side, blonde guy calls out

Blonde guy (simon)
so you want me to leave her

we see close up Sharones eyes turn blackand turns around

Sharone
Yer i want you to leave her get the fuck out of her you piece of white shit

he kicks him out the bum holding his guns

we see close up his side kick large guy shake his head as blonde guy runs out

blonde guy (simon)
shit

as he runs out hte door

we see his sister sitting on the ground crying, sharone, kneels down grabs his sisters chin

Sharone
You know i can help you , but not like this you know your my baby sister

Sharones sister
Yer i got my own life you dont know shit

she sits up

(

Well thats the idea of script for your black guy
cheers
Mark

Last edited:
Well Mark, you put a fine point to it. :)

As to the films: I like the first one. But the soundtrack seemed a little overbearing. But this might just be personal preference, on my part.

I thought the same thing abotu the second one. Also, when Chad kicks SuiteGlasses, at the end, but the music keeps playing, we know Chad is going to die. You might be telegraphing your ending. I liked it though.

Does your school pay for the film and preccessing?

Last edited:
I had to watch it without sound but visually I liked it. There's some technical stuff to improve like the blown-out sky in the patio shot. Out-of/soft focus on some shots. And those bright flashes where the cuts are, like knightly pointed out. And I think the scratches and lines take away from it a bit, was that intentional or just a byproduct of developing the film?

I really enjoyed your voyeuristic shot choices. Reminds me a bit of Hitchcock. As first films I would be proud of them. :)

I had to watch it without sound but visually I liked it. There's some technical stuff to improve like the blown-out sky in the patio shot. Out-of/soft focus on some shots. And those bright flashes where the cuts are, like knightly pointed out. And I think the scratches and lines take away from it a bit, was that intentional or just a byproduct of developing the film?

I really enjoyed your voyeuristic shot choices. Reminds me a bit of Hitchcock. As first films I would be proud of them. :)

It''s the byproduct of developing the film.

Its shot on 16mm so the blown-out sky was really hard to get in focus with the time of day we had to film it in. It would be awesome if you could watch it with sound when you get a chance because I think it really helps with the atmosphere. Again, the story is terrible I know, but I was paying attention to it at all this time around.

I really really appreciate all these comments, please keep them coming!

really liked the cinematography in Chamber - premise/story was a bit generic but it did look nice and held my attention so a very good start I would say! Only thing that really jarred was the note - would hitmen really communicate via very large print handwritten notes?

No they wouldn't haha, I had to add it in because my original typed note had coffee spill on it =/.

I actually really think the black guy in this film has camera sensibility i realy think he simply will fit into a movie as a gangster the,way he,walked past side shots hes a shoe in

the window could have been exposed by adding more light to the interior to bring it into the correct exposure range of the window (which you didn't have control over). Or by putting a huge roll of ND gel over the window to bring its level down to the levels of the interior.

It's not a 16mm film thing, it's a lighting thing.

Back