How can a non resident American become a director in Hollywood?

Hello Guys/ Girls :)

This is Amogh from India, and I have a die hard passion for film writing and directing. Over the year I have studied a lot of literature on Film making, screenwriting etc., I've involved myself in scanning all the forums, browsing the websites and looking for film making DVD's in the libraries. After getting bored of just thinking and reading, I made my mind to start my career right now... Hence recently I completed writing a script for my short film, and it took about five drafts. Now that I'm satisfied with the material, I'm grouping with my friends to shoot it. I know that short film is only for the sake of getting noticed, and can anyone suggest me the right place to display my short?

By the way that wasn't my purpose to post this thread. Within a year or two, I'll complete my Technical education. I have plans of moving to Hollywood right away, but I need some advise. I need some guidance. I know, I can understand the intensity of competition going on for the spotlight, I also know that whatever I do, I will have to start at the bottom... Guys/ Girls I'm willing to take anything, and by the virtue of bad luck if I can't make it, I'm prepared to be satisfied with whatever I get... And moreover I'm confident, I'm not afraid... But what I'm worried about is, Let me put it like this...

Imagine, After all the struggling and reverie, I raise money to travel all the way to Hollywood, well prepared, in order to realize my dreams, Fine. I get down at the airport, full of rapture, looking at the bright colors of the totally different world. Very fine. But what's next? Where should I go? Should I stay back at the LA airport? No I can't, that's not the way! But there is a way... and some one please tell me what next?

Should I go to a restaurant to land a job? Where should I stay after having found a job? And whom should I contact first to start an Indie project? Please help me guys/girls...

Last edited:
One short is nice. Three is better. Three short films and a feature
is even better. The place to display your short is in film festivals.
First in your native country then internationally.

That's a fine place to start.

You should stay where every you can. Most people find another person
to be their roommate to share expenses and rent an apartment as close
to their job as they can.

You would contact producers, agents, fellow directors and even just friends
to help you.

What about immigration?

Hey welcome. You tell me how someone in America becomes a director in Hollywood, and I'll telly you how to do it from India :D

I'd say, "Lucky man, do nothing but stick on to your plans, what you think could probably take you there, leaving all the ego, frustration, and envy at the doorstep..."

Last edited:
What about immigration?

Sorry. I'm a producer, writer and director. I don't know anything about
immigration. Perhaps there is a government agency in your country that
can answer your immigration questions.

Any questions you have about filmmaking I can help.

Immigration is depended on your visa. Are you entering US as a visitor? Then, by law, you are not allowed to stay pastyour visa exparation date. However there been known cases of people enering the country through visitor visa,, obtaining immigration attorney, and if you were unjustifyingly procecuted in your country of birth you could seek a political assylum. But again, this is deeply frowned upon, and when people present their case to immigration judge, their reason for seeking political assylum is life/death situation (civil war, life threatening living conditions)... not "Id like to become a filmmaker"..

Immigration is really complicated topic, and not forum conversation. Check with immigration attorneys

Last edited:
ROC, Spielberg isn't investing on a Bollywood movie, Reliance Pictures is investing on his... :lol:

Read again.

It's more like Bollywood is buying chunks of Hollywood at a time.

It's a bigger industry than it appears at first glance and I think you should take another look at it...

But hey, by all means come out to LA and try and make it.

Seems like the economic crisis has driven out a few of the individuals who are clawing for work as actors and filmmakers here.

I'm familiar with immigration to USA and have first hand experience. Petitioning a relative is not so cut and dry. It can takes years. Many years. For a young person, it can be almost impossible. Best thing, find some hot American chick with roots to the old country and marry her for a visa. Are you planning on a tourist visa? 99% you won't get one. Let me know if you want more details.

I'm familiar with immigration to USA and have first hand experience. Petitioning a relative is not so cut and dry. It can takes years. Many years. For a young person, it can be almost impossible. Best thing, find some hot American chick with roots to the old country and marry her for a visa. Are you planning on a tourist visa? 99% you won't get one. Let me know if you want more details.

I'm always happy to receive more information. :)

Read again.

It's more like Bollywood is buying chunks of Hollywood at a time.

It's a bigger industry than it appears at first glance and I think you should take another look at it...

But hey, by all means come out to LA and try and make it.

Seems like the economic crisis has driven out a few of the individuals who are clawing for work as actors and filmmakers here.

Thank you ROC :). Let me tell you that Bollywood is such a place where it is better to not become a director at all. I don't mean, by it, that it's easier to make it to Hollywood. It is rather complicated :yes: It's not the 'Glamour Value' that's making me think like this, but it's the narrative freedom...

But be sure to tell the whole world the ins and outs of Hollywood.

In case of Bollywood, cons are greater than pros, that's why guys like Mallika Sherawat, Frieda Pinto and recently Anil Kapoor etc., moved to Hollywood. There are many other unknown examples.

Unless you're from an elite family and can show vast resources, the US Embassy won't give you tourist visa, because the policy is that there's a presumption that you won't return back to India and it's hard to overcome that presumption. Marriage is the easiest way. It's fast, cheap, but the bad part is you have to get married. Petitioning from a relative is difficult -- the system is completely fucked. You're an energetic, educated young person looking to make a mark on the world right? You'd think America would want you right? We don't. You may not ever get an immigrant Visa. However, if your son or daughter has a green card, and you're 65 years old, diabetic, schizophrenic and require 24-7 medical care, THEN we want you! You could get a green card in less than a year. Kids can also get green cards easily. Young adults? Not.
Another way to go is student visa. Two things you need: 1) Acceptance letter from American school (easy) 2) show adequate funds and resources to finance the education (can be a problem if your income is anything but top rung). Sponsorship from US Company, don't know as much about that, but obviously it's done, but lotta competition, and you won't get Dreamworks to sponsor you.

Be a good director in your own counrty.
Make sure your skills get noticed and that your projects make money.
Get to know people in the global scene and the Hollywood scene.

That might earn you an 'invitation' to Hollywood.

Paul Verhoeven worked this way: he made several good Dutch features.
'Turks Fruit' was the best visited Dutch film ever.
'Soldaat van Oranje' got great reviews from over the world and opened the 'Hollywood-door' (a bit) for Paul Verhoeven (Robocop, Totall Recall, Basic Instinct), Rutger Hauer (Blade Runner, Sin City, Blind Fury, etc) and Jeroen Krabbé (The Fugitive, The Living Daylights).
But the open door is just the first step: then you have to work hard to 'materialize' your changes. (Some people think the open door is the finish, but it's just a new start at a new level.)

Or go to Hollywood, work your ass of as a waiter, meaning your resume will get more blank spots, because you are so busy making a living, you hardly have time to invest in your network, portfolio and skills...
When you go, you should have the means to stay alive for at least 2 months, so you can work on your network and skills.
And make sure your portfolio has something good and promising to show, before you go there.

Good luck and send a 'moved to Hollywood' notice to these boards when you get there :)

Back