Need advice for Class Graduation Film

Hi everyone,

It's been a while I've visited IT since there lots of stuff going on keeping me off filmmaking. I'm approaching graduation (Energy Engineering) and for the Graduation Ceremony, there is usually a short and official (read : approved by administration) video thats is screened to graduates (a class of 140ish people), parents and other officials.

Since I've pretty much made every video for the other students these last thee years, I've been given the task of handling it. And I'm not sure on what to do.

Now for the last years, the videos have been disturbingly boring. A lousy montage of random stuff made a few days before. And I don't want to do that. If I'm doing this, it has to be something cinematic and compelling. The goal is to have a few persons cry by the time we get to the credits (i'm only half joking).

Now, for some reason, I have this tribute video that is stuck in my head and from which I want to draw inspiration. Now the video will spoil for you Breaking Bad's ending so don't watch it if you're not there yet.
http://youtu.be/BkFs90jJfOg

I'm thinking about using the same music and I want to use the same technique : a voice over narration, interrupted by a few live flashbacks.

One idea would be to follow one guy on the morning of graduation day. He wakes up, stressed up, a knot in the stomach. He struggles to shove some breakfast down, he gets slowly in a suit, and picks up on one or two items on his path that strike souvenirs. All the while we're filming this, we have voice-over of him narrating his feelings and emotions. The idea is pretty fresh (thought of it when typing the beginning of the post) so it's kindda rough and incomplete but what do you think so far ?

Also, do you have any good examples of graduation films ? I don't even know if that sort of thing is common..

Back