Degree in Maths

Hey guys! What do you think, is it sensible to get a degree in maths to pursue a career in producing/directing? It's a very universal degree and develops problem solving skills in you. As far as I know all directors and producers do is solve problems, be that creative or financial. So would it be a good idea?

I could see where having a degree in maths would be useful to a director or producer for the problem solving reasons you mentioned. But I don't see how pursuing a degree in maths would be a good choice.

If your goal is to be a producer/director, you should directly pursue it. Getting an advanced math degree isn't on the direct path to becoming a producer/director.

To set the stage: I dropped out of high school - never got a degree
in anything.

And... I am terrible in math. Beyond terrible.

Are maths discipline similar to the creative disciplines of working
with actors? Of expressing vision to a crew? Of understanding
storytelling? I understand how it can help with financials, just not
with creativity.

And please keep it simple - I'm not the smartest guy in the room.

Gonna veer off topic a bit riffing on Alcove’s point.

Both my parents were in the business - at least to a degree - so I
never was pressured to have something to fall back on. All my
friends were. So I never did anything but entertainment.

While I struggled without a “back up” several of my high school
friends were doing good enough because they had that back up
degree and job. What I saw over the years were my friends enjoying
the steady paycheck and filmmaking staying as a hobby. I didn’t
have that; I worked in my field or I starved.

For me - and not for everyone - I’m glad I didn’t have anything to
fall back on. I know I would have. Today I do not make my living
as a director and only part of my living as a writer, but I do
make 100% of living in the entertainment business. My “fall back”
job is pyrotechnics, camera operator and live theater.

I’m not suggesting that’s a good plan for most people. Getting a
degree in something that you can use as a back up just in case, is
a very good plan.

To further riff, my theatre professor was fond of telling us that if we had something to fall back on, we always would. And he was right. Those that didn't pursue double majors and other career opportunities are still working in theatre; those that pursued other areas are not nearly as active theatrically as they thought they would be in school.

I would add to what Rik and Uranium said by saying that the starving artist thing is probably better left to the single, or maybe its better to say with out children type. I don't mean it can't be done but I'm sure it could put quite the strain on a relationship.

I have a decent paying/steady job. My wife and I each have our "allowance" that we can spend on whatever we like, and she still poo-poos my film abbitions even though it isn't affecting us financially. I can't imagine what it would be like if we were not able to pay bills and I was trying to make films.

Last edited:
It's never a bad choice to have a degree in something as a safety net.
Remember, is hard to make it big in this bussiness. You should not put all of your eggs on the same basket.
Me...I'd love to one day be directing my own films, but I'm studying engeneering just in case.

For me - and not for everyone - I’m glad I didn’t have anything to
fall back on. I know I would have.

It's been exactly the same for me. I'm pretty sure I would have gone for the back up at some point over the past 20 years if I'd had the choice. And I'm equally sure I would not be happy. Jumping without a net may be risky but it sure keeps you focused.

As far as I know all directors and producers do is solve problems, be that creative or financial.

And there is Major Misconception #1. Directors and producers do a whole lot more than solve problems, and when they are solving problems, there ain't much math involved, beyond the occasional basic arithmetic. The qualities and skills that make a good director, or producer, involve the opposite side of the brain that is required to be good at math.

No, I think studying math (there is no plural) would be a horrible way to prepare for either directing or producing.

On a side-note, are you ridiculously good at math? Did you take calculus WAY before any of your peers? Cuz if you didn't, you have no chance in hell of completing a degree in math. If you do happen to possess this skill, however, your mathematical brain is in very high demand. People who are really good at math can have some very high-paying jobs thrown their way. I know it's not your passion, but hey, just throwin that out there.

Accounting, project management or marketing might be better suited formal educations.

The art and the eye should pretty much be of a irrepressible, compulsive nature.
Learning how to operate (and fight with) the [expletive] equipment is just a matter of technical know-how.

The skills and discipline you acquire studying math will serve you in any and all endeavors. Film or otherwise. To deem math a "Fallback" or somehow equivalent to a trade is not accurate. A math degree isn't like graduating from Acme Welder's School.

there are a lot of starving artists out there. I guess what you have to ask yourself is...are you comfortable with that? I wasn't. I got my degree in Pre-Med Biology and although I don't use the degree, at least I was able to use it to land a pretty comfortable job with a steady paycheck. Unfortunately, in the film world, I'm playing catch up with all the film students, BUT I rest easy at night knowing I can afford to do all the things I want to do rather than live hand to mouth.

I'm not trying to offend anybody with the above statement..everyone has their own circumstances and their own decisions to make...I was just stating mine.

just my 2 cents.

Angie
Actress/Producer
www.WatchGraduated.com

Back